Molecular emission spectra database

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for an online molecular emission spectra database for spectroscopic analysis of plasma, and the inability to find one. The question of the most efficient way to analyze spectra was also raised, with the current procedure of matching atoms based on peak wavelength being deemed inefficient for molecular spectroscopy. The NIST chemistry webbook was suggested as a resource for thermochemical and spectroscopic properties of molecules.
rammer
Hi, I am looking for online molecular emission spectra database for spectroscopic analysis of plasma. It would be great if searching in it is based on a wavelength of spectral lines/bands.

For atomic spectra I found this database: http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/ASD/lines_form.html
But I couldn't find anything like that for molecular spectra which is essential for full analysis of spectra.

And my next question is (as I am beginner in spectra analysis) what is the right and most efficient way of analysing spectra? My current procedure is that I find a peak in my spectrum then I search appropriate atoms using the peak wavelength and then I match one atom (the one which has more characteristic lines in my spectrum) for the given peak wavelength. Is there more efficient way?

Physics news on Phys.org
The NIST chemistry webbook has thermochemical and spectroscopic properties for a number of molecules: https://webbook.nist.gov/
rammer said:
My current procedure is that I find a peak in my spectrum then I search appropriate atoms using the peak wavelength and then I match one atom (the one which has more characteristic lines in my spectrum) for the given peak wavelength. Is there more efficient way?
This works fine for atomic absorption/emission, as well as x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, but for molecular spectroscopy, trying to correlate spectral lines with individual atoms won't work. The spectral features in general are made up of collective motions of nuclei/electrons.

1. What is a molecular emission spectra database?

A molecular emission spectra database is a collection of recorded and organized data on the wavelengths and intensities of light emitted by molecules. This data is used to identify and analyze specific molecules, as each molecule has a unique emission spectrum.

2. How is a molecular emission spectra database created?

A molecular emission spectra database is created by using specialized equipment, such as a spectroscope, to record the light emitted by a molecule when it is excited by energy. The data is then analyzed and organized into a database that can be accessed and used by scientists.

3. What is the purpose of a molecular emission spectra database?

The purpose of a molecular emission spectra database is to aid in the identification and analysis of molecules. By comparing the emission spectrum of an unknown molecule to the data in the database, scientists can determine the identity of the molecule and gather information about its properties.

4. Are there different types of molecular emission spectra databases?

Yes, there are different types of molecular emission spectra databases. Some databases may focus on a specific type of molecule, such as organic compounds, while others may include a broader range of molecules. There are also databases that are specific to certain analytical techniques, such as mass spectrometry.

5. How are molecular emission spectra databases used in research?

Molecular emission spectra databases are used in research to identify and analyze molecules in various fields, such as chemistry, physics, and biology. They can also be used to study the behavior and properties of molecules, as well as to develop new technologies and applications.