Looking for a Budget-Friendly Solid-State Inclinometer?

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
In summary, the ADXL322 is a small, low power accelerometer that can be used to detect motion and orientation in portable devices.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Anyone know of a good and cheap single axis solid-state inclinomter? I want to interface the sensor with a microprocessor in order to know what angle a lcd panel has been rotated so I may adjust to portrait or landscape mode.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know of any "cheap" ones with a data output. You might try Starett or Omega.

Apple has built an inclinometer into their PowerBooks and people have actually used as an input device to orient the windows depending on how the person is viewing the lcd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_Motion_Sensor

The microcomputer that I'm using is the Gumstix and it very small (Literally the size of a stick of gum) therefore I need small components. I would think the solid-state route would be best in this senario.

I found the part I needed. It is the ADXL322 from Analog Devices.

http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,ADXL322,00.html

"The ADXL322 is an ultra small package (4 x 4 x 1.45 mm LFCSP) and low power (340 µA at Vs = 2.4V) ± 2g iMEMS® Accelerometer designed to accommodate the integration requirements of mobile phones and other portable devices for a variety of motion, tilt, and inertial sensing features (e.g., data entry, menu and display control, power management, situational awareness, navigation, and portrait vs. landscape display orientation). The ADXL322 also enables hard disk drive protection systems and security features in notebook computers, as well as position and tilt sensing for PC and gaming peripherals such as mouse and joystick devices."

It is also cheap: $8.33 at digikey

dduardo said:
I found the part I needed. It is the ADXL322 from Analog Devices.

http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,ADXL322,00.html

"The ADXL322 is an ultra small package (4 x 4 x 1.45 mm LFCSP) and low power (340 µA at Vs = 2.4V) ± 2g iMEMS® Accelerometer designed to accommodate the integration requirements of mobile phones and other portable devices for a variety of motion, tilt, and inertial sensing features (e.g., data entry, menu and display control, power management, situational awareness, navigation, and portrait vs. landscape display orientation). The ADXL322 also enables hard disk drive protection systems and security features in notebook computers, as well as position and tilt sensing for PC and gaming peripherals such as mouse and joystick devices."

It is also cheap: $8.33 at digikey

Analog is usually pretty good about selling in small quantities. I bet you could save a few bucks by getting them from Analog instead of digikey.

Here's and EDN article on accelerometers.
http://www.edn.com/article/CA472836.html

Ahhh...so it's not an inclinometer per-se. It is a great use of accelerometers though. You learn something new every day.

What is a Solid-State Inclinometer?

A Solid-State Inclinometer is a type of sensor that measures the angle or tilt of an object in relation to the force of gravity. It uses solid-state technology, typically microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), to detect changes in acceleration and determine the inclination angle.

How does a Solid-State Inclinometer work?

A Solid-State Inclinometer works by using a small mass that is suspended by springs inside a tiny chip. When the chip is tilted, the mass moves and changes the capacitance between the mass and the springs. This capacitance change is measured and converted into an angle reading by the sensor's electronics.

What are the advantages of using a Solid-State Inclinometer?

Compared to traditional mechanical inclinometers, Solid-State Inclinometers have several advantages. They are smaller in size, more accurate, and have a longer lifespan due to the absence of moving parts. They are also less affected by external factors such as temperature and vibrations, making them more reliable for precise measurements.

Where are Solid-State Inclinometers commonly used?

Solid-State Inclinometers have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in construction, civil engineering, mining, and aerospace for monitoring the slope stability of structures, measuring the angle of drilling equipment, and guiding the orientation of satellites, among others.

How do I choose the right Solid-State Inclinometer for my application?

When choosing a Solid-State Inclinometer, consider factors such as the required measurement range, accuracy, and environmental conditions of your application. You should also ensure that the sensor has the necessary output and communication options for your system. Consulting with a sensor expert can also help you select the best inclinometer for your specific needs.