Troubleshooting Mathematica's Simplify Function for Finding the Norm of a Vector

In summary, the function can simplify but is not able to return the norm of r'[t]. In order to solve the equation, I need to find tangential and normal and binormal vectors.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I have a function here...

r(t) ={6Sqrt[2]t, 3Exp[2t], 3Exp[-2t]}

I needed to find the norm of r'[t]... yet when Mathematica tries to simplify it, it can't do it with simplify, powerexpand[simplify[]], fullsimplify... and this function IS suppose to be able to simplify. I then started running through every basic algebraic manipulation tool and came up empty...

I restarted mathematica thinking the kernel had just given up on me but that didn't work.

PowerExpand[Simplify[]] gives me 12Cosh[2Re[t]] and that can't be it...

Someone think they know what's going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure it's right

[tex]r(t) =\left< 6\sqrt{2}t, 3e^{2t}, 3e^{-2t}\right> [/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow r^{\prime}(t) =\left< 6\sqrt{2}, 6e^{2t}, -6e^{-2t}\right> [/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \left| r^{\prime}(t)\right| = \left| \left< 6\sqrt{2}, 6e^{2t}, -6e^{-2t}\right> \right| = \sqrt{6^{2}2+6^{2}e^{4t}+6^{2}e^{-4t}}[/tex]
[tex]= 6\sqrt{2+e^{4t}+e^{-4t}}=6\sqrt{\left(e^{2t}+e^{-2t}\right) ^2}=12\left(\frac{e^{2t}+e^{-2t}}{2}\right) = 12\cosh(2t) [/tex]

assuming [itex]t\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]

Crap... then I need to figure out how to simplify it into something that isn't a hyperbolic function...

I need to find tangential and normal and binormal vectors and I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to do it with that equation...

Pengwuino said:
I have a function here...
r(t) ={6Sqrt[2]t, 3Exp[2t], 3Exp[-2t]}
I needed to find the norm of r'[t]... yet when Mathematica tries to simplify it, it can't do it with simplify, powerexpand[simplify[]], fullsimplify... and this function IS suppose to be able to simplify. I then started running through every basic algebraic manipulation tool and came up empty...
I restarted mathematica thinking the kernel had just given up on me but that didn't work.
I feel your pain. I don't have access to Mathematica, but I do use Matlab's Symbolic Toolbox, which is based on the Maple engine. Sometimes it is soooo stupid ... Forcing things sometimes helps, sometimes not.

On the other hand, this is simple expression to simplify by hand.
Assuming [itex]t[/itex] is real,
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\mathbf{r}(t) &=\begin{bmatrix}6\sqrt 2 t & 3\exp(2t) & 3\exp(-2t)\end{bmatrix} \\
\dot{\mathbf r}(t) &= \begin{bmatrix}6\sqrt 2 & 6\exp(2t) & -6\exp(-2t)\end{bmatrix} \\
\lVert{\dot{\mathbf r}(t)}\rVert^2
&= \dot{\mathbf r}(t) \cdot \dot{\mathbf r}(t) \\
&= 36 \exp(4t) + 72 + 36 \exp(-4t) \\
&= \left(6\left(\exp(2t) + \exp(-2t)\right)\right)^2 \\
&= \left(12 \cosh(2t)\right)^2 \\
\intertext{thus}
\lVert{\dot{\mathbf r}(t)}\rVert &= 12 \cosh(2t)\right
\end{align*}
[/tex]
Why use Mathematica?

PowerExpand[Simplify[]] gives me 12Cosh[2Re[t]] and that can't be it...
Someone think they know what's going on here?
Wait a sec, I thought you said Mathematica couldn't simplify it. Now you said it does, and it came up with the right answer to boot. (Mathematica's answer is correct even if [itex]t[/itex] is complex).

Last edited:
Well I thought it was screwing up, the unsimplified form had these Re[t]'s in it as the magnitude of r'[t] when it seems like it only should have had e's unless I am going into really complicated things here.

I got this...

[tex]\sqrt {72 + 36e^{ - 4{\mathop{\rm Re}\nolimits} [t]} + 36e^{4{\mathop{\rm Re}\nolimits} [t]} } [/tex]

When I thought I would get this…[tex]\sqrt {72 + 36e^{-4t} + 36e^{4t} } [/tex]

1. What is the purpose of the Simplify function in Mathematica?

The Simplify function in Mathematica is used to simplify mathematical expressions, equations, and functions. It reduces complex expressions into simpler forms, making them easier to work with and understand.

2. How does the Simplify function work in finding the norm of a vector?

The Simplify function uses a series of built-in rules and algorithms to manipulate and simplify the input expression. In the case of finding the norm of a vector, it can use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulations to simplify the expression into its simplest form.

3. What are some common issues that may arise when using the Simplify function for finding the norm of a vector?

Some common issues that may arise include incorrect input syntax, not specifying the correct variables or assumptions, and encountering complex or undefined values. It is important to carefully check the input and make sure all necessary assumptions are included to ensure accurate results.

4. How can I troubleshoot and fix errors when using the Simplify function for finding the norm of a vector?

One way to troubleshoot errors is to use the built-in options for the Simplify function, such as specifying assumptions or setting a maximum complexity level for the output. It can also be helpful to break down the expression into smaller parts and simplify each one separately. Additionally, checking for typos or incorrect syntax in the input can also help resolve errors.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding the norm of a vector in Mathematica?

Yes, there are other built-in functions in Mathematica that can be used to find the norm of a vector, such as Norm and EuclideanDistance. Additionally, users can also define their own custom functions using built-in mathematical operations and functions to calculate the norm of a vector.