Building an IR Remote Control for Senior Design Project

In summary: I was thinking about using a micropower uC with a small EEPROM to store the program for the switches and the volume levels. I also looked into using a CPLD but I don't know if that is the best option.In summary, Ben is considering using an encoder/decoder chip and a micropower uC to control his IR remote. He is also considering using a CPLD, but is unsure if it is the best option.
frogdogbb
I am trying to figure out the best way to build an IR remote control. I was going to use momentary switches on the remote and need 18 switches. The remote is going to eventually control a preamplifier I am building for a senior design project which is still a few semsters away. I figure it is never too early to get started. I have know good working schematics that I have built for most of the analog devices I am going to use. The hard thing for me is implementing the LCD display and the remote is going to be tough. I have found a number of encoders/decoders of varing styles but I am unsure what would be the easiest for my application. I would need the following buttons: Volume-up-dn, Treb-up-dn, Bass-up-dn, Tone defeat, Bal--left-right, Low-up-dn, Mid-up-dn, High-up-dn, Mute, Sub-up-dn. I also intend to provide the same switches at the unit for manual adjustment. Each switch or output from the decoder will drive digital pots on the respective boards and output the level to a LCD display. I need some help getting started with the remote first what scheme to use...
Thanks,
Ben K

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe that there are several IR comm standards that are used for various kinds of remote controls. There is also an audio component comm standard, but I don't know if it extends to IR control of the audio components. Could you please list the various IR comm standards that you are considering, along with their modulation frequencies and other differences?

What are you considering using for the circuitry in your IR remote TX unit? Are you going to use a low power CPLD, or a micropower uC, or some other scheme? There are probably IR TX modules available -- can you use one of those, or are you supposed to build the whole project from scratch? What is your target battery life for the TX remote? Are you going to use a 9V or a couple of AAA batteries? Can you make the keypad switches more complicated in order to extend the battery life? (like using DPST at each switch position, where the 2nd pole is used to turn on the power supply circuit, and the power supply turns itself off after a brief amount of time with no more button pushes...).

Those are all good questions, I am not sure what direction I want to go since I am just getting started. There are no design guidelines it is all up to me to pick the project and devlop it. I have found companies like http://www.holtek.com.tw/english/ [Broken] that make various IC's encoders decoders but I am not sure how to choose what I need...

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your end application is audio, I would start by researching the comm standards that the high-end audio industry uses. They at least have one for inter-component digital communication, and I'd bet they've adopted some standard for IR remote control too. Once you understand those standards, you can look at what modules are available, and decide if you want to roll your own circuit instead, or leverage off of some existing modules.

Just a note here. Beckeman said "There are probably IR TX modules available -- can you use one of those, or are you supposed to build the whole project from scratch?", which got me to thinking. Once you are out of school, (at least this is what I've learned since) you don't always have the time or company money to design every detail. And why re-invent the wheel? Integrating existing modules works fine and your job becomes understanding these modules inorder to hook them up together and packaging (making it look cool).

Don

There are no restrictions on the project since I have to design lots of other things I would rather the remote be as simple as possible. If I can find a encoder chip and decoder chip that will do what I want that would be great. I even considered the idea of using a universal remote control and a learning decoder to make it work. I found some interesting IC at http://www.linxtechnologies.com/ind...onductor&subcategory=remote-control-ic_series
The problem is the 18 different functions I am thinking I will contact the manufacturer for using these for my application.

Last edited:

1. What is an IR remote control?

An IR (infrared) remote control is a handheld device that uses infrared light to wirelessly control electronic devices such as televisions, DVD players, and home audio systems. It typically has buttons for different functions, such as power, volume, and channel control, and emits infrared signals that are received by a sensor on the electronic device.

2. What is the purpose of building an IR remote control for a senior design project?

The purpose of building an IR remote control for a senior design project is to apply knowledge and skills in electrical engineering and programming to design and create a functional and practical device. It also allows students to gain hands-on experience in project management, problem-solving, and teamwork.

3. What components are needed to build an IR remote control?

The main components needed to build an IR remote control are an infrared LED, a microcontroller, a battery, and a circuit board. Other components may include resistors, capacitors, and buttons for user input. The specific components and their specifications may vary depending on the design and functionality of the remote control.

4. How does an IR remote control communicate with electronic devices?

An IR remote control communicates with electronic devices through infrared light. When a button is pressed on the remote, the microcontroller sends a specific pattern of electrical signals to the infrared LED, which converts them into infrared light pulses. These pulses are then received by a sensor on the electronic device and translated into commands that perform the desired function.

5. What are some challenges that may arise in building an IR remote control for a senior design project?

Some challenges that may arise in building an IR remote control for a senior design project include selecting the appropriate components and ensuring compatibility, designing an efficient and user-friendly interface, programming the microcontroller to correctly send and receive signals, and testing and debugging the device. Time management and communication within the team may also be potential challenges.