What is the Main Chemical in Robitussin and Where is it Found?

• Thread starter DoAPoodle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the conversation discusses the chemical dextromethorphan found in Robotussin, which is used as a cough suppressant. It is not present in LSD or acid, and has psychoactive properties at high doses. It is important to read the "william white faq" before consuming cough syrup for a trip, as it can have intense and potentially harmful effects. The user thanks the expert for clarifying the information.
DoAPoodle
DM's either a chemical, or asa friend i know said an alcohol(?)
whats its full name and is it found in acid? either acid or lsd

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This topic should probably be moved, though I'm not sure where to.

The antitussive (cough supressing) chemical in Robotussin is dextromethorphan. It is most definitely not present in LSD - and therefore acid, as acid is just a slang name for lsd. It does, however, have psychoactive properties at hypermedical doses. Search on google for the "william white faq" if that is your interest. If you're too lazy to read the whole document and intend to drink cough syrup to trip, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that there are no other active ingredients besides dextromethorphan hBr or you could end up in the hospital. Given the sometimes intense nature of DXM experiences, which are nothing at all like LSD and prove unenjoyable for most people (in addition to the disturbing high itself, the near unavoidable vomiting episodes tend to limit its popularity), I'd highly suggest reading that faq before tasting this stuff.

lates,
cotarded

thank you

thank you very much. i was positive it wasnt an alcohol or anything. TY

1. What is the main chemical in Robitussin?

The main chemical in Robitussin is dextromethorphan.

2. What is the purpose of dextromethorphan in Robitussin?

Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant that helps to reduce the urge to cough.

3. Is dextromethorphan safe to use?

Yes, when used as directed, dextromethorphan is safe for most people. However, it is important to read and follow the dosage instructions on the packaging and consult with a doctor before use.

4. Can dextromethorphan be addictive?

No, dextromethorphan is not known to be addictive. It is not a narcotic and does not have the potential for abuse.

5. Are there any side effects associated with dextromethorphan in Robitussin?

Some people may experience mild side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, or upset stomach. However, these side effects are uncommon and usually resolve on their own. If you experience any severe or persistent side effects, consult with a doctor.