Volume of a Cone: Solve the Problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a solid bounded by given planes and converting to cylindrical coordinates. The correct approach is to integrate r over 0 to z, resulting in a cone instead of a cylinder.
twoflower
Hi,

I have this problem:

Compute volume of solid bounded by these planes:

[tex]
z = 1
[/tex]

[tex]
z^2 = x^2 + y^2
[/tex]

When I draw it, it's cone standing on its top in the origin and cut with the [itex]z = 1[/itex] plane.

So after converting to cylindrical coordinates:

[tex]
x = r\cos \phi
[/tex]

[tex]
y = r\sin \phi
[/tex]

[tex]
z = z
[/tex]

[tex]
|J_{f}(r,\phi,z)| = r
[/tex]

I get

[tex]
0 \leq z \leq 1
[/tex]

[tex]
0 \leq \phi \leq 2\pi
[/tex]

[tex]
0 \leq r \leq 1
[/tex]

And

[tex]
V = \iiint_{M}\ dx\ dy\ dz\ =\ \int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1} r\ dr\ dz\ d\phi
[/tex]

But I got [itex]\pi[/itex] as a result, which is obviously incorrect :(

Can you see where I am doing a mistake?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your limits of integration on r are wrong. Note that your maximum r changes as a function of z. What you are (correctly) calculating here is the volume of a unit cylinder, not a cone.

-Dale

DaleSpam said:
Your limits of integration on r are wrong. Note that your maximum r changes as a function of z. What you are (correctly) calculating here is the volume of a unit cylinder, not a cone.
-Dale

I thought so...anyway, I still can't see what's wrong. When I draw it in x-z 2D plane, I see that the cone is bounded by curve [itex]z = r[/itex] as a "right side" (which is what I got from expressing z from the original equations and using cylindrical coordinates) and [itex]z = -r[/tex] as a "left side". So because [itex]0 \leq z \leq 1[/itex] also [itex]0 \leq r \leq 1[/itex].

Why isn't it correct?

EDIT: Oh, I maybe see it now..Gonna try that and possibly write again..

Well, you probably got it now anyway, but just in case I will tell you before I have to go for the evening. Basically instead of integrating r over 0 to 1 you need to integrate r over 0 to z.
[tex]
V = \iiint_{M}\ dx\ dy\ dz\ =\ \int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{z} r\ dr\ dz\ d\phi
[/tex]

Do you see how this is a cone and the previous integration was a cylinder?

-Dale

Divide the cone into discs of thickness dz. The radius of each is equal to z, so area is piz^2. Now just integrate:

[tex]\int_0^1\pi z^2dz=\pi/3[/tex]

DaleSpam said:
Well, you probably got it now anyway, but just in case I will tell you before I have to go for the evening. Basically instead of integrating r over 0 to 1 you need to integrate r over 0 to z.
[tex]
V = \iiint_{M}\ dx\ dy\ dz\ =\ \int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{z} r\ dr\ dz\ d\phi
[/tex]
Do you see how this is a cone and the previous integration was a cylinder?
-Dale

Yes, that's exactly how I finally did it. Thank you DaleSpam!

Krab said:
Divide the cone into discs of thickness dz. The radius of each is equal to z, so area is piz^2. Now just integrate:

Thank you Krab, nice approach actually...

1. How do you find the volume of a cone?

To find the volume of a cone, you can use the formula V = (1/3)πr^2h, where V is the volume, π is the mathematical constant pi, r is the radius of the base of the cone, and h is the height of the cone.

2. What is the base and height of a cone?

The base of a cone is the circular end of the cone, while the height is the distance from the base to the highest point of the cone.

3. How do you measure the radius and height of a cone?

The radius can be measured by finding the distance from the center of the base to the edge of the base. The height can be measured from the base to the highest point of the cone.

4. Can you use the same formula to find the volume of any cone?

Yes, the formula V = (1/3)πr^2h can be used to find the volume of any cone, as long as you have the correct measurements for the radius and height.

5. How is the volume of a cone different from the volume of a cylinder?

The volume of a cone is (1/3) times the volume of a cylinder with the same base and height. This is because a cone has a pointed top, while a cylinder has two flat circular ends.