Relativity Question: Flashbulb Simultaneous Flashes by Melissa

• Thread starter Tony11235
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:
Tony11235
Melissa is on a flatcar moving east at 0.6c relative to Bob. She holds a flashbulb in each hand and causes them to flash simultaneously. Melissa's hands are 2.0 m apart and her arms are oriented in an east-west direction. According to Bob, which flashbulb flashes first and by how much?

For some reason I cannot get myself started on this problem. Any hints or help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have forgotten most of relativity that I learnt. But it is tempting to give it a try. So if I am wrong I hope some one will correct me here.

The time difference between the two light pulse must be caused by the separation of the light sources i.e 2m. However, Bob sees this length contracted due to length contraction

So for Bob, separation between the light sources = L' = L/gamma = 2/gamma

L' = 1.6 m ( gamma = 1.25)

So the time difference between the pulses = L' / c = 5.3 ns.

Gamma: Please don't give offer complete solutions to homework problems. We want students to do most of the work, and we help.

That said, I don't agree with your solution. In order for the 2.0m to be considered a length in Bob's frame he would have to measure the distance between Melissa's hands simultaneously. But if he uses the flashes to measure the distance he does not make the measurements simultaneously, because in his frame the flashes are not simultaneous.

Tony: Let Bob's frame be [itex]S[/itex] and let Melissa's frame be [itex]S^{\prime}[/itex]. Let Event 1 be "East light flashes." and Event 2 be "West light flashes." Then begin as follows.

1.) Write down spacetime coordinates for Events 1 and 2 in [itex]S^{\prime}[/itex].
2.) Compute spacetme intervals from the coordinates found in 1.).
3.) Use the Lorentz transformation to find the time between the flashes in [itex]S[/itex].

Please don't give offer complete solutions to homework problems. We want students to do most of the work, and we help.

:approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

1. What is the concept of relativity?

The concept of relativity, as proposed by Albert Einstein, is that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that there is no absolute frame of reference in the universe and that space and time are relative to the observer.

2. How does the flashbulb experiment demonstrate relativity?

The flashbulb experiment, also known as the "Flashbulb Simultaneous Flashes by Melissa" experiment, involves two observers, Melissa and Jack, standing on opposite sides of a train track. As the train passes by, Melissa sees two flashbulbs go off simultaneously at either end of the train, while Jack, who is on the moving train, sees the flashbulb at the front of the train go off first, followed by the one at the back. This demonstrates that the perception of simultaneity is relative and dependent on the observer's frame of reference.

3. How does relativity impact our understanding of space and time?

Relativity has revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It has shown that the concepts of space and time are not absolute, but can be distorted by the presence of massive objects. It also introduced the idea of spacetime, which combines space and time into a four-dimensional continuum.

4. What are the two main types of relativity?

The two main types of relativity are special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in non-accelerating frames of reference, while general relativity extends these laws to include accelerated frames and gravity.

5. What are some practical applications of relativity?

Relativity has many practical applications, including GPS technology, which relies on the precise measurements of time and space predicted by relativity. It has also been used in the development of nuclear energy, particle accelerators, and space travel. Additionally, relativity has helped scientists better understand the behavior of black holes and the structure of the universe.