Solution to Mass Center Problem: 3 Uniform Disks

• Thread starter braindead101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center Mass
In summary, the center of mass of a system consisting of three uniform disks with radii a, 2a, and 3a placed in contact and centered on a straight line is 6a from the center of the smallest disk. The thickness of the disks does not affect the calculation.
braindead101
question:
three uniform disks of the same mass per unit area, and radii a, 2a, 3a are placed in contact with each other with their centers on a straight line. how far is the center of mass of the system from the center of the smallest disk?

solution:
m1=pi a^2
m2=4pi a^2
m3=9pi a^2

Xc = (m1/mtotal)Xo + (m2/mtotal)(Xo+3a)+(m3/mtotal)(Xo+8a)
Xc = 1/14Xo + 4/14Xo + 6/7a + 9/14Xo + 72/14a
Xc = Xo + 6a

therefore center of mass of system is 6a from the center of the smallest disk.

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that is not correct. Think about what your answer means if a is made arbitrarily small. Also, it appears there is missing information in the way you state the problem. Don't you suppose the thickness of the disks matters?

i don't really understand what's wrong with it
but here is the diagram, i guess i did miss this

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9140/phys27rv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
braindead,

I misunderstood your original description of the arrangement. I had them stacked one on top of the other - thanks for clarifying with your drawing.

With the revised configuration, yes, your answer is correct!

1. What is the Mass Center Problem?

The Mass Center Problem is a physics problem that involves finding the center of mass of a system of objects. It is also known as the center of gravity problem.

2. What is the Solution to the Mass Center Problem for 3 Uniform Disks?

The solution to the Mass Center Problem for 3 Uniform Disks is to use the formula for finding the coordinates of the center of mass for a system of particles. This formula takes into account the mass and position of each disk to determine the overall center of mass.

3. How is the Mass Center Problem Important in Physics?

The Mass Center Problem is important in physics because it helps us understand the distribution of mass in a system, which is crucial in analyzing the motion and stability of that system. It is also fundamental in solving many other physics problems, such as rotational dynamics and collisions.

4. What are Uniform Disks?

Uniform disks are objects that have the same mass density throughout their entire volume. In other words, every part of the disk has the same mass per unit volume. This allows us to simplify the calculation of their center of mass.

5. Can the Solution to the Mass Center Problem be Applied to Other Objects?

Yes, the solution to the Mass Center Problem can be applied to any system of objects, not just uniform disks. However, for more complex objects, the calculation may become more complicated and may require advanced techniques such as integration.