Galactic Merger: What Will Happen When Andromeda Collides with the Milky Way?

• Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
In summary, the collision between the Milky Way and Andromeda is going to result in an elliptical galaxy. The relative velocity of the two galaxies is important for the resulting tidal tails.
vincentm
Hello everyone, :biggrin:
Ok astronomers currently know that Andromeda is going to collide with the Milky Way, i believe i read somewhere that our local group of galaxies is referred to as the "virgo cluster". what i'd like to know is:1) Is the collision between these two spirals going to result in an Elliptical galaxy, or are they going to merely just "brush" by each other like 2 ships in the fog (so to say)

2) At what velocity is Andromeda heading towards the Milky Way, also does the rate of each one's velocty going to have an affect on how they merge ( i think so just want to be sure)?

3)Found this applet http://burro.astr.cwru.edu/JavaLab/GalCrashWeb/main.html
using this and, based on current data is it possible to show how this collision might accour?Thank everyone.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
vincentm said:
Hello everyone, :biggrin:
Ok astronomers currently know that Andromeda is going to collide with the Milky Way, i believe i read somewhere that our local group of galaxies is referred to as the "virgo cluster".

The local group of galaxies (dominated by Andromeda and the Milky Way) is called, simply, the "Local Group". We are, in turn, a part of a much larger collection of galaxies known as the Coma-Virgo Supercluster. In addition, there is another (more compact) cluster of galaxies known as the "Virgo Cluster" and it's believed that our local group will eventually merge with this cluster.

1) Is the collision between these two spirals going to result in an Elliptical galaxy, or are they going to merely just "brush" by each other like 2 ships in the fog (so to say)

The galaxies are bound and dissipative forces will eventually force a collision. It will take them several passes to completely merge, however. We don't know for sure whether they will form an elliptical or not, but many believe that the collision of two large spiral galaxies (like the Milky Way and Andromeda) will lead to the formation of an elliptical galaxy. Since we can't watch galaxies collide in real time, it's hard to say for sure.

2) At what velocity is Andromeda heading towards the Milky Way, also does the rate of each one's velocty going to have an affect on how they merge ( i think so just want to be sure)?

Andromeda is approaching us at around ~250 km/s. Not only does the speed matter for the resulting collision, but also the relative orientations of the galaxy disks. If the disks are rotating in opposite directions, then the stars nearer to our galaxy will spend more time in close proximity. This leads to a "stronger" collision and more pronounced tidal tails.

Found this applet http://burro.astr.cwru.edu/JavaLab/GalCrashWeb/main.html
using this and, based on current data is it possible to show how this collision might accour?

I can't load it on this computer, but I can't think of any reason why we couldn't simulate the Milky Way-Andromeda collision...except perhaps for the still large uncertainty in their dark halo masses.

Thank you space tiger.

1. What is a galactic merger?

A galactic merger is the process in which two or more galaxies collide and combine to form a larger galaxy.

2. How do galactic mergers occur?

Galactic mergers occur due to the gravitational interactions between galaxies. As galaxies come close to each other, their gravitational pull causes them to merge together.

3. What are the effects of galactic mergers?

Galactic mergers can result in the formation of new stars, the disruption of existing galaxies, and the growth of supermassive black holes. They can also cause changes in the shape and structure of the galaxies involved.

4. Are galactic mergers common?

Galactic mergers are relatively common in the universe, especially among smaller galaxies. They are thought to have played a significant role in the evolution of galaxies over time.

5. How do scientists study galactic mergers?

Scientists use various tools and techniques, such as telescopes and computer simulations, to study galactic mergers. They also analyze the data and observations collected from these methods to better understand the process of galactic mergers.