Aerospace engineering study and work in the United States

In summary, aerospace engineering is a field that involves the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft, utilizing principles of mechanical, electrical, and materials engineering. To study aerospace engineering in the US, a Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering or a related field is typically required, with some positions also requiring a Master's or PhD degree from an accredited program. Success in this field requires strong skills in math, physics, critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, and teamwork. Job opportunities for aerospace engineers in the US can be found in various industries, such as aerospace and defense companies, government agencies, and research institutions. The average salary for aerospace engineers in the US is around $116,500 per year, but can vary based on factors such
niko2000
Hi,
I am approaching the end of my current study of electrical engineering - telecommunications. The world of airplanes and flying machines has also been fascinating me for some time now. But for now this is almost entirely unknown field to me. I would be very happy if I could work somewhere in the aerospace business in future and I am thinking to take some additional study after the completion of the current one.
Now I'm 23 and I'm thinking about moving to the United States after the graduation. In my country in Europe the engineering studies take 5 years so I would be very thankful if anyone could give me some informations about engineering studies and work in the United States (how many years do studies take, how can I apply for study as a foreigner, what's the value of an European degree for American companies, how could I apply for work...).
Regards,
Niko

Physics news on Phys.org
One could enter the US as a student, on a student visa. American universities may accept a degree from an accredited European university. My university had a number of foreign graduate students.

There is also an H-1B Visa - http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/h1b.htm [Broken] - which allows temporary employment in the US. After some period, one could then apply for "permanent resisdency".

I think aerospace and aviation are somewhat soft at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Niko,

Congratulations on almost completing your electrical engineering - telecommunications degree! It's great to see that you have a passion for the aerospace industry as well. Moving to the United States after graduation is a big decision, but it can definitely open up many opportunities for you.

In terms of engineering studies in the US, it typically takes four years to complete a Bachelor's degree in engineering. However, some students may take longer depending on their course load and any internships or co-op programs they participate in. As a foreigner, you would need to apply for a student visa to study in the US. You can find more information about the application process on the US Department of State website.

Regarding the value of a European degree for American companies, it really depends on the company and the specific field of engineering you are interested in. Generally, having a degree from a reputable European university would be seen as a valuable asset. However, it's always a good idea to do some research on the specific companies you are interested in and see if they have any partnerships or connections with European universities.

As for applying for work in the US after graduation, you can start by networking and building connections within the aerospace industry. Attend job fairs, conferences, and reach out to professionals in the field to learn more about potential job opportunities. You can also research companies that you are interested in and see if they have any job openings for international students.

Overall, studying and working in the US can be a great experience, but it's important to do your research and plan ahead. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors!

What is aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft. This field combines principles of mechanical, electrical, and materials engineering to create functional and efficient flying machines.

What are the educational requirements for studying aerospace engineering in the United States?

Most aerospace engineering positions in the US require at least a Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering or a related field. Some positions may also require a Master's or PhD degree. It is important to choose a program that is accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).

What skills are necessary to succeed in aerospace engineering?

To be successful in aerospace engineering, one must have a strong foundation in math and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are important for working on complex projects with other engineers and professionals.

What job opportunities are available for aerospace engineers in the United States?

Aerospace engineers in the US can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace and defense companies, government agencies, and research institutions. They may work on the design and development of aircraft, spacecraft, satellites, or military defense systems.

What is the average salary for aerospace engineers in the United States?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for aerospace engineers in the US is around $116,500 per year. However, salaries can vary depending on factors such as education, experience, and location.