Can I use integration by parts recursively on this?

• Thread starter cscott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    parts
In summary, the formula for integration by parts can be used recursively on the given integral. After applying the substitution rule and simplifying, the integral can be further simplified to e^x/(x+1).
cscott

[tex]\int (xe^x)(x+1)^{-2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried?

Yeah

[tex]... = \frac{-xe^x}{x + 1} - \int \frac{e^x}{x + 1} \cdot dx[/tex]

Right so far?

Nope.
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}xe^{x}=e^{x}(x+1)[/tex]
There is at least one other flaw with your work.

Oops... don't know what I was thinking there. I got it now, thanks.

cscott said:

Affirmative.

Formula for integration by parts by Substitution Rule:
[tex]\int u dv = uv - \int v du[/tex]
[tex]u = xe^x \; \; \; dv = \frac{1}{(x + 1)^2} dx[/tex]
[tex]du = e^x (x + 1) dx \; \; \; v = \left( - \frac{1}{x + 1} \right)[/tex]
[tex]\int (xe^x) \left[\frac{1}{(x + 1)^2} \right] dx = (xe^x) \left(-\frac{1}{x + 1} \right) - \int \left(-\frac{1}{x + 1} \right)[e^x(x + 1)] dx[/tex]

Last edited:
Can this

[tex]\int (xe^x) \left[\frac{1}{(x + 1)^2} \right] dx = (xe^x) \left(-\frac{1}{x + 1} \right) - \int \left(-\frac{1}{x + 1} \right)[e^x(x + 1)] dx[/tex]

be further simplified to
[tex]\int (xe^x) \left[\frac{1}{(x + 1)^2} \right] dx = \frac {e^x}{x+1}[/tex]

Last edited:

Affirmative
[tex]\left(xe^x\right)\left(-\frac{1}{x + 1}\right) - \int \left(-\frac{1}{x + 1}\right)\left[e^x\left(x + 1\right)\right] dx = - \frac{xe^x}{x + 1} + \int e^x dx[/tex]

[tex]- \frac{xe^x}{x + 1} + \int e^x dx = - \frac{xe^x}{x + 1} + e^x = e^x \left(- \frac{x}{x + 1} + 1\right) = \frac{e^x}{x + 1}[/tex]

[tex]\boxed{\int \left(xe^x\right)\left[\frac{1}{\left(x + 1\right)^2}\right] dx = \frac{e^x}{x + 1}}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is a method used to evaluate integrals that involve products of functions. It allows us to break down a complicated integral into simpler parts that can be more easily integrated.

2. How does Integration by Parts work?

The formula for Integration by Parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions of x and dv and du are their respective derivatives. Essentially, we choose one function to be u and the other to be dv, then use the formula to simplify the integral.

3. When should I use Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is most useful when the integral involves a product of two functions, or when one function is difficult to integrate but its derivative is simpler.

4. What are some common pitfalls when using Integration by Parts?

One common mistake is choosing the wrong function to be u. It is important to select u in such a way that the integral becomes simpler after applying the formula. Another pitfall is not being able to determine the integral of the chosen dv, which may require using other integration techniques.

5. Can Integration by Parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, Integration by Parts can be used for definite integrals by applying the formula and then substituting in the limits of integration. However, it may not always be the most efficient method for evaluating definite integrals.