Any Automotive Engineers in here?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Ben
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Automotive
In summary, the conversation focused on the topic of an individual obtaining a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering from Texas A&M University and their interest in pursuing a career in the automotive field. They also inquired about the subject matter they should expect to know and mentioned their plan to attend S.A.M. in the fall. Another participant in the conversation shared their qualifications as an engineer with a Master's in mechanical engineering and a P.E. in Texas, offering their expertise to the discussion.
Ben
I'm on my way to getting a Masters from Texas A&M University in Mechanical Engineering, and am wondering if anybody here has a ME degree and is working in the automotive field.

I was also wondering if anybody here can help me with what I should expect as I get closer towards my goal in terms of the subject matter I will be required to know.

Finally, I plan on attending S.A.M. (School of Automotive Machinists) in the fall, as I take a year off from the classroom and move into the shop. Is anybody here acquainted with the school? If you are, has it helped you in your field?

Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
I realize this is about 13 years too late for the OP, but I am an engineer, an automotive engineer, have a Master's in mechanical engineering and a P.E. in Texas.

1. What is the role of an automotive engineer?

An automotive engineer designs, develops, and tests vehicles, including cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other modes of transportation. They are involved in the entire process from concept to production, and are responsible for ensuring the safety, performance, and efficiency of the vehicle.

2. What qualifications do I need to become an automotive engineer?

Most automotive engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in engineering, typically in mechanical, electrical, or automotive engineering. Some employers may also require a master's degree or relevant work experience. Strong mathematical, analytical, and problem-solving skills are also important.

3. What skills are important for an automotive engineer to have?

In addition to technical knowledge and expertise, an automotive engineer should have strong communication and teamwork skills, as they often work in multidisciplinary teams. They should also have a good understanding of industry regulations and standards, as well as computer-aided design (CAD) software.

4. What are the current developments in the field of automotive engineering?

Automotive engineering is a rapidly evolving field, with advancements in areas such as electric and autonomous vehicles, alternative fuels, and advanced safety features. There is also a growing focus on sustainability and reducing the environmental impact of vehicles.

5. What are the career prospects for automotive engineers?

The demand for automotive engineers is expected to increase in the coming years, as the automotive industry continues to grow and evolve. With the rise of new technologies and the push towards more sustainable transportation, there will be a need for skilled engineers to design and develop these vehicles. Additionally, automotive engineers can also pursue careers in other industries, such as aerospace or renewable energy.