Exploring the Unknown: CO2-V Network Solid

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary: Stabilizing CO2-VIf this new, very hard CO2-V can be stabilized at ambient temperatures and pressures, it will have many uses. (...etc ...etc) New classes of high explosives, nonlinear optical materials with high thermal and mechanical stability, high-strength glass, and superhard materials for tools are all candidates. Crystals that can double the frequency of laser light from infrared to green would be valuable for Livermore's inertial confinement fusion energy program (...etc ...etc) This is a pretty interesting topic! :) In summary, it seems that if CO2-V can be stabilized, it has a lot of potential uses in various industries.
bomba923
Well, we know how quartz and glass are a network SiO2 molecules

*But what if we replace the Si atoms with carbon? In other words, what if we have the same network arrangement of CO2 molecules?

-Is there a name for this network solid?

Edit:
Perhaps I am referring to "CO2-V", possibly?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think I know what you are asking.
CO2 is a gas, unless its quite cold.
Then it's usually called dry ice.

NoTime said:
I don't think I know what you are asking.
CO2 is a gas, unless its quite cold.
Then it's usually called dry ice.
I am not referring to dry ice~

Dry ice is a molecular solid; I'm referring to a network solid,
with molecular units CO2, just as quartz/glass is SiO2.

http://www.btinternet.com/~chemistry.diagrams/SIO2-3UN.GIF (<-click on the link)
The red spheres represent the oxygen atoms,
and the cyan spheres represent carbon atoms.

~Possibly, I may be referring to CO2-V,
(see http://www.llnl.gov/str/Yoo.html)
but I am not sure...

Last edited by a moderator:
bomba923 said:
Well, we know how quartz and glass are a network SiO2 molecules

*But what if we replace the Si atoms with carbon? In other words, what if we have the same network arrangement of CO2 molecules?

-Is there a name for this network solid?
The network solid you describe does not exist at NTP. The reasons for this are the smaller covalent radius of C (compared to Si, which is large enough to accommodate O-atoms in tetrahedral voids) and the higher polarity of CO2 compared to SiO2.

At very high pressures though, I believe some kind of CO2 network solid has been made.

CO2 won't form a network solid no. C will in the form of coal or diamond and such but you can't compact a gas to form glass

rctrackstar2007 said:
CO2 won't form a network solid no. C will in the form of coal or diamond and such but you can't compact a gas to form glass
Not under NTP, as Gokul mentioned. But under large pressures...

http://www.llnl.gov/str/Yoo.html

it has been done (according to the linked article).

Electron shells

The reason that CO2 will not form the network solid as iwould silicon or even sulphur is due to the intermediate electron d shell that is present in these but not in carbon. this shell allows silicon to fulfill more energy states and form a more stable compound. but it does prevent it from forming long chain molecule as carbon will, i.e. dodecane

bomba923 said:
Not under NTP, as Gokul mentioned. But under large pressures...

http://www.llnl.gov/str/Yoo.html

it has been done (according to the linked article).

oh wow that had not been brought to my attention until just now

that's quite useful info, thank you :smile:

[PLAIN said:
http://www.llnl.gov/str/Yoo.html][/PLAIN]
Stabilizing CO2-V

If this new, very hard CO2-V can be stabilized at ambient temperatures and pressures, it will have many uses. (...etc ...etc) New classes of high explosives, nonlinear optical materials with high thermal and mechanical stability, high-strength glass, and superhard materials for tools are all candidates. Crystals that can double the frequency of laser light from infrared to green would be valuable for Livermore's inertial confinement fusion energy program (...etc ...etc)
Hmm...
so can CO2-V be stabilized at all (at NTP) ?? :bugeye:

(CO2-V being the "quartzlike" CO2 I mentioned earlier)

Last edited by a moderator:
bomba923 said:
Hmm...
so can CO2-V be stabilized at all (at NTP) ?? :bugeye:
That's probably a question that can only be answered by researchers in the field.

What is well-known is that it has become almost commonplace to be able to stabilize high temperature phases of diffferent systems at well below their equilibrium phase transition temperatures. There hasn't been as much success with stabilizing high pressure phases. This particular phase, the CO2-V is a high temperature and high pressure phase.

It will take the discovery of a truly rare and well-hidden reaction pathway that cuts through the giant activation energies needed to reach the phase in question. Does such a pathway exist? No idea.

1. How does the CO2-V network solid work?

The CO2-V network solid is a material that is made up of interconnected carbon and oxygen atoms, forming a unique crystalline structure. This structure allows the material to efficiently absorb and store carbon dioxide, making it a potential solution for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

2. What makes the CO2-V network solid different from other carbon capture technologies?

Unlike other carbon capture technologies, which often use solvents or other chemicals to absorb and separate carbon dioxide, the CO2-V network solid is a solid material that does not require any additional substances. This makes it more cost-effective and environmentally friendly.

3. How is the CO2-V network solid synthesized?

The CO2-V network solid is synthesized through a process called hydrothermal synthesis, which involves reacting carbon dioxide and vanadium oxide in water at high temperatures and pressures. This results in the formation of the unique crystalline structure that allows the material to efficiently absorb and store carbon dioxide.

4. What applications does the CO2-V network solid have?

The CO2-V network solid has potential applications in carbon capture and storage, as well as in the production of renewable fuels and chemicals. It can also be used in air filtration systems to remove carbon dioxide from indoor environments.

5. Is the CO2-V network solid commercially available?

Currently, the CO2-V network solid is still in the early stages of research and development. While it has shown promising results in laboratory experiments, more testing and optimization is needed before it can be made commercially available.