Harvard Stem Cell Institute Researchers Cleared for SCNT Experiments | HSCI News

In summary, after two years of review, Harvard Stem Cell Institute researchers have been approved to use Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer to create disease-specific stem cell lines in hopes of finding cures for currently incurable diseases. However, there is a new obstacle in the journey towards human cloning - egg harvesting.
Mk
http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/daily/2006/06/06-stemcell.html
After more than two years of intensive ethical and scientific review, Harvard Stem Cell Institute (HSCI) researchers at Harvard and Children's Hospital Boston have been cleared to begin experiments using Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer (SCNT) to create disease-specific stem cell lines in an effort to develop treatments for a wide range of now-incurable conditions afflicting tens of millions of people.
I'm for it, go cloning!

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
New Obstacle for Scientists

Hey,

If you're interested in the work being done over at Harvard as far as the cloning of humans goes, you should check out this article I found at Technology Review. It highlights another obstacle on the journey to the successful cloning of a human: egg harvesting. Check it out at the link below:

http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=16990&ch=biotech

I understand that the use of SCNT for stem cell research has been a controversial topic, but I believe that this decision by the Harvard Stem Cell Institute is a step in the right direction. By using SCNT, researchers will be able to create disease-specific stem cell lines, which can lead to more targeted and effective treatments for a variety of debilitating conditions. This could potentially bring hope to millions of people who are currently suffering from incurable diseases.

I also appreciate that the researchers have undergone extensive ethical and scientific review before being cleared for these experiments. This shows that they are taking the necessary precautions and are committed to conducting their research in an ethical and responsible manner.

I believe that advancements in stem cell research, such as the use of SCNT, have the potential to greatly benefit society and improve the lives of individuals who are struggling with health issues. I am excited to see what discoveries and treatments may come from this research and I fully support the efforts of the Harvard Stem Cell Institute.

1. What is SCNT?

SCNT stands for somatic cell nuclear transfer, which is a laboratory technique used to create cloned embryos for research purposes. It involves taking the nucleus of a somatic cell (any cell in the body except for reproductive cells) and inserting it into an egg cell that has had its nucleus removed.

2. Why do researchers need clearance for SCNT experiments?

SCNT experiments involve the use of human embryos, which raises ethical concerns. Therefore, researchers must receive clearance from regulatory bodies and ethics committees before conducting such experiments.

3. What is the Harvard Stem Cell Institute?

The Harvard Stem Cell Institute (HSCI) is a collaborative research institute that focuses on the study of stem cells and their potential for regenerative medicine. It is comprised of scientists and researchers from various institutions, including Harvard University and its affiliated hospitals.

4. What does it mean for HSCI researchers to be cleared for SCNT experiments?

Being cleared for SCNT experiments means that HSCI researchers have received approval from regulatory bodies and ethics committees to conduct research involving the creation and use of cloned embryos. This allows them to continue their studies on stem cells and their potential for regenerative medicine.

5. What impact could SCNT experiments have on the field of regenerative medicine?

SCNT experiments have the potential to greatly advance the field of regenerative medicine by providing a better understanding of stem cells and their potential for treating various diseases and injuries. This research could also lead to the development of new therapies and treatments for conditions that currently have no cure.