Could Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis Cause Your Head to Explode?

• Thread starter Arcon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a supposed incident of a chess champion's head exploding due to intense mental activity and the source of the story, weeklyworldnews.com, being questioned. The possibility of it being an urban legend is also mentioned.
Arcon
This is pretty bizzare.

Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis

http://aether.lbl.gov/www/classes/p139/explode.html

It seems that a chess champion's head actually exploded when he thought too hard for too long! :-)
He was deep in concentration with his eyes focused on the board," says Titiov's opponent, Vladimir Dobrynin. "All of a sudden his hands flew to his temples and he screamed in pain. Everyone looked up from their games, startled by the noise. Then, as if someone had put a bomb in his cranium, his head popped like a firecracker."
That's pretty darn gross!

They continue
The explosions happen during periods of intense mental activity when lots of current is surging through the brain. Victims are highly intelligent people with great powers of concentration.
Moral of the story - Don't think too hard or you head might explode. :-)

What I don't get is how the pressure could build to such an extent that the head explodes? Is blood being pumed to the brain so much by the heart that the skull cracks and explodes?

Biology news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Monique
Hi Arcon, ever heard of urban legends? :)
Check the so called news source: http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/
This makes more sense than someone's head actually exploding. It was the source of that link that confused me. However I found this quoted at many university web sites. While the source is a tabloid it does not mean that the story is fake.

The question becomes - is there a more accurate source for this claim?

Thanks

Arcon

I was also surprised to find out what kind of website weeklyworldnews REALLY is :)

I posted a thread on this just recently. If I wasn't so lazy I would go find that thread and link to it.

That's why I don't play chess

ThunderPants said:
That's why I don't play chess

Welcome to PF ThunderPants, I think you may win the award for necroposting. If you check the dates next to people's names you will see that no one has commented here for 7 years!

1. What is Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis?

Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis (HCE) is a fictional scientific term that refers to a hypothetical condition in which the brain's electrical activity becomes abnormally high. It is often used in science fiction and fantasy works as a way to explain psychic abilities or other supernatural phenomena.

2. Is Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis a real condition?

No, Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis is not a real condition. It is purely a fictional concept used in literature and media.

3. What are the symptoms of Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis?

Since Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis is not a real condition, there are no specific symptoms associated with it. However, in literature and media, it is often described as causing heightened intelligence, enhanced cognitive abilities, and psychic powers.

4. Can Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis be treated?

Since it is not a real condition, there is no known treatment for Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis. In fiction, characters with this condition often face challenges and consequences due to their heightened abilities.

5. Is there any scientific basis for Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis?

No, there is no scientific basis for Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis. It is purely a fictional concept used for entertainment purposes.