Choosing the Right 3-Way Valve for Dual Water Source Control

In summary, the person is looking for help in determining the type of valve they need for their application. They mention having two sources of water going into the same reservoir and wanting to be able to switch between the two. They are currently looking at Direct-Acting Solenoid Valves 3 way and are wondering if the universal type is what they need, as they want the water to be able to flow in either direction. They ask for suggestions and help, and provide a link to a specific valve on the McMaster website. Another person responds, mentioning that the valves are generally low pressure and can start leaking at pressures below the normal operating pressure. They explain the difference between a universal valve and other types, and suggest using two valves
jawbreak
I was wondering anyone could help me figure out the type of valve I need.

The application is I have two sources of water going into the same reservoir and I want to be able to switch between the two.

I am currently looking at Direct-Acting Solenoid Valves 3 way

Now I am noticing some say universal and wondering if this is the type I need? What does it mean by universal? I want the water to be able to flow in either direction. In and out.

Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A manufacture and part number would help us.

Cant figure out a way to bookmark this site but if you go to

http://www.mcmaster.com/

And catalog page 417 its at the top
Brass Three-Way Solenoid Valves

Looking at the diagram I'm not sure if it can do what I want if or if that's what the universal type is for.This is what I want:

<---->|...|
...|...|<----->
<---->|...|

(periods/dots are just for proper alignment)

config 1:

<---->|...|
...| \_|<----->
<---->|...|

config 2:

<---->|...|
...| _|<----->
<---->|/..|

One of two sources can be selected and it can flow in both directions.

Thanks again, hope diagrams make sense

Last edited:
These are generally low pressure valves made by Asco for example. A lot of these valves are "unbalanced" which means that pressure has a tendency to push the valve open. Thus, they can start leaking (internally) at a pressure below the normal operating pressure.

A universal valve (per Asco) is a valve that can seal off internally at full rated pressure in all directions such that it doesn't matter if the port is pressurized not (ie: it doesn't matter if the port is an IN or an OUT port). The cost for having this feature is generally higher solenoid power for any given Cv, thought that's not always the case since many times the solenoid is oversized anyway.

Other valves, such as 'Normally Open' or 'Normally Closed' have specific IN and OUT ports, and pressure in the opposite direction will cause the valve to leak. If you have a common, low pressure port that you're flowing to, you can probably use a NO or NC valve.

Edit: I see our posts overlapped. From the last post you seem to indicate that you could have higher pressure on the common port which means you'll need a universal one.

config 1:

----->|...|
...|\_|---->
----->|...|...\
......|
......|
......|
<-----|...|.../
...|\_|<---
<-----|...|

config 2:
----->|...|
...| _|---->
----->|/..|...\
......|
......|
......|
<-----|...|.../
...| _|<---
<-----|/..|

Heres the final looking application

Two solenoids are connected by a tube where there are two different inputs and output reservoirs. The two solenoids will be wired to together to switch at the same time.

So it seems if I got two of the 3way universal it would work?

Also if I wanted to use a NO or NC could I? Since the second solenoid has one input and two outputs does this matter?

Thanks again, I am extremely grateful.

From looking at your post #5, it looks like you only have flow in one direction (ie: pressure is always highest on the same side of your valve). If that's the case an NO or NC valve is fine. If the dP is low enough, it may still work just fine. If you need to operate the valve such that it blocks flow regardless of which port is pressurized, you need the universal one. Hope that helps.

oh... and welcome to the board :smile:

Thanks Q_Goest, you've been a great help!

Looks like I'm going to go with two of the

8111K45
Brass Three-Way Solenoid Valve with Side Port NC, 1/4" NPT Female, .09 Cv Factor, Viton Seat

from mcmaster, the ones on top of page 417.

Thanks for the nice welcome :)

Asco makes some of the same solenoid valves. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the ones from McMaster weren't from Asco.

think about this
just use two valves
both n.o. valves
this way you can open one or the other or both at the same time
the two smiple valve cost less than a 3-way

1. What is a 3way valve and how does it work?

A 3way valve is a type of valve that has three ports, allowing for the control of flow between two different sources or directions. It works by using a movable plug or ball to block or allow flow through different combinations of ports.

2. What are the main applications of a 3way valve?

3way valves are commonly used in a variety of industrial and commercial applications, including heating and cooling systems, water treatment plants, and chemical processing plants. They can also be found in household appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers.

3. How do I select the right 3way valve for my specific application?

When selecting a 3way valve, it is important to consider factors such as the desired flow rate, pressure rating, and compatibility with the fluid being used. It is also important to choose a valve from a reputable manufacturer and to consult with a valve expert for guidance.

4. What are the advantages of using a 3way valve over other types of valves?

One of the main advantages of a 3way valve is its versatility. It allows for the control of flow between multiple sources, which can reduce the need for additional valves and piping. They also tend to have a compact design, making them suitable for use in tight spaces.

5. How do I maintain and troubleshoot a 3way valve?

Regular maintenance of a 3way valve is important to ensure proper functioning and extend its lifespan. This includes checking for leaks, cleaning or replacing any clogged filters, and lubricating moving parts. If a 3way valve is not working properly, it is important to first check for any clogs or obstructions and then consult with a valve expert for further troubleshooting.