Virginia Tech: Experiences of a Real Student in Egypt

• Thread starter abdo375
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, Virginia Tech is known as a top engineering school in the United States, with a strong reputation and well-funded research projects. However, it is located in a small town and has cold winters. The cost of their Master's program may be significantly higher compared to other programs in Egypt, but it is highly recognized in the US job market. Its reputation in the Egyptian job market is uncertain.
abdo375
I wanted to know what you think about virginia tech, I live in egypt and my college is offering a master's from there and I'm strongly considering it.
so if someone has been there can you please tell me how is it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no personal experience with virginia tech, but from what I hear it is a very good engineering school. I don't know more than that.

I attended Virginia Tech for my undergraduate degree (BSEE). It is one of the best schools in the country, with an engineering program consistently in the top 15 or so. There are an enormous variety of well-funded research projects there, and VT continues to develop into one of the premier research institutions in the world.

The only drawbacks, in my opinion, are: (1) The town, Blacksburg, is very small, and rather far from any big cities. If you like big-city life, you will not enjoy Blacksburg. It's a neat experience to live in a town almost completely composed of college students, but I found myself wanting more culture experiences than such a small town could offer. (2) The weather can be quite cold there in winter. Normal snowfall is probably in the range of 2-6 feet per year, usually in three or four storms throughout the winter. I'm not exactly a winter person, and found it to be a bit cold for my liking.

- Warren

Thank you chroot for your reply, the things you mentioned wouldn't be a problem since VT gives me the option of taking the whole Master's degree here in my college with prof. flying to Egypt to give the lectures or by means of video conferencing, although I'd prefer the other option which is to spend one year at my college and the other at US.

chroot my problem is that the Master's degree in Egypt typically range from 300-1000$ a year, but the VT program is going to cost 12,000$ a year and that in Egypt is a small fortune, so I was asking if it's worth the money, I mean does it have a strong reputation in the job market that will make employers consider me more than someone else.

thanks

abdo375,

As I said, VT is one of the top 10 or 15 engineering schools in the US. It definitely has very strong name recognition in the US, and will definitely help you get a job in the US. On the other hand, if you intend to remain in Egypt, I really do not know how well VT is known there.

- Warren

Thank you very much chroot & jbusc.

1. What was your overall experience at Virginia Tech in Egypt?

My overall experience at Virginia Tech in Egypt was amazing. I had the opportunity to learn from world-renowned professors, engage in hands-on research projects, and immerse myself in a new culture. I also made lifelong friendships and gained valuable skills that have helped me in my career.

2. How did the academic programs at Virginia Tech in Egypt compare to those at the main campus in the United States?

The academic programs at Virginia Tech in Egypt are very similar to those at the main campus in the United States. The courses are taught by the same professors and follow the same curriculum. The only difference is the location and cultural perspective, which adds a unique element to the learning experience.

3. What was the biggest challenge you faced while studying at Virginia Tech in Egypt?

The biggest challenge I faced was adjusting to the cultural differences. Being in a foreign country can be overwhelming at first, but with the support of the university and my peers, I was able to adapt quickly. It was a valuable learning experience that helped me become more open-minded and adaptable.

4. How did your experience at Virginia Tech in Egypt impact your personal and professional development?

Studying at Virginia Tech in Egypt had a significant impact on my personal and professional development. It exposed me to a new culture and way of thinking, which broadened my perspective and enhanced my communication, adaptability, and problem-solving skills. It also gave me a global network of friends and colleagues that have been valuable resources in my career.

5. What advice would you give to someone considering studying at Virginia Tech in Egypt?

I would highly recommend studying at Virginia Tech in Egypt. It's a unique opportunity to gain a global perspective, immerse yourself in a new culture, and enhance your academic and personal development. My advice would be to be open-minded, take advantage of all the opportunities offered, and embrace the experience to make the most out of it.