Solve PC Cutting Out Issue: Software or Hardware? | Expert Tips

• Thread starter Kurdt
  • Start date
In summary, the PC keeps cutting out on the user and has been doing this for about a week. The user had windows installed for about two years and at first thought it was a software issue, but has since wiped the HDD and installed everything from scratch. It tends to just switch off when the user runs a CD or a program, and is impossible to turn back on without cutting the power entirely first. The user also has a second thought that it could be a hardware issue. The user's old PC had a problem where the fan on the CPU heatsink went and the CPU cooked itself, but the fan is fine and the CPU is operating well within the manufacturer's recommended limits. The user tries to explore all possibilities before getting a
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My PC keeps cutting out on meand has been doing this for about a week now. I had windows installed for about two years and at first thought it was a software issue, but I have wiped the HDD and installed everything from scratch and the problem remains. It tends to just switch off when I run a CD or a program and is impossible to turn back on without cutting the power entirely first.

My second thought was that its obviously a hardware issue. I had a similar problem with an older PC when the fan on the CPU heatsink went and the CPU cooked itself but the fan is fine and the CPU is operating well within manufacturers recommended limits. Are there any other hardware issues that would cause a similar failure?

I do realize as CPU's age they get heat damaged anyway from normal use so could just be that but I wanted to explore all possibilities before getting a new CPU.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It could be a problem with your motherboard. My old computer had a problem where the main board had gotten old and had developed shorts around the power jack, occasionally causing it to lose its power connection. The fact that you seem to be having issues with your peripherals also points to an old and malfunctioning motherboard.

Thankfully, this is a part that you can pretty much just swap out without much cost or effort.

Just a guess. Try power supply, just because you say it drops out when you put a CD in. This would start an additional load on PS.

Some BIOS provide power supply info.
If so you could check if power is correct.

its the power suply, i guess, because it happened to me, and it still does, even with a new power supply, stupid old computing hardware. have you got any newer hardware that has been added recently, cause i am guessing that's what happened to mine, with a new dvd recorder and all

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a pc probe software that shows temperatures and voltages I'll have a quick look and see what's going on. If the voltages look anomalous then I have a spare power supply I can try from an old pc.

thats what was rong with mine, i ran Everest on myn and the same stuff came up, (ambigouus and anomalous lookin temps) and that's what fixed it

even then, the temps could have been to do with the very sorry state that the HDD was in, defragmenter went through it 3 times on its own acord before it was satisfied

After I loaded it and all the wndows updates downloaded and installed its stabalised so hopefully it will be ok. Thanks for the advice anyway. I did check the temperatures and voltages and they looked fine if the problem happens again I'm going to get a new motherboard and CPU (I need an upgrade really anyway :wink:).

1. What is the importance of diagnosing a problem?

Diagnosing a problem is crucial in understanding the underlying cause of an issue. It allows for targeted and effective solutions to be implemented, preventing further complications and improving overall outcomes.

2. How do you approach diagnosing a problem?

I typically start by gathering as much information as possible about the problem, such as symptoms, timing, and potential triggers. Then, I use a systematic approach to analyze the data and narrow down potential causes. This may involve conducting experiments, using diagnostic tools, or consulting with other experts.

3. What are some common challenges in diagnosing a problem?

Some common challenges include limited information, ambiguous symptoms, and complex systems. It can also be difficult to distinguish between multiple potential causes or to identify rare or uncommon problems.

4. How do you ensure accurate diagnosis of a problem?

To ensure accuracy, I use a combination of critical thinking skills, scientific methods, and collaboration with other experts. I also make sure to thoroughly document and review all data and findings to minimize errors and biases.

5. What are some ethical considerations when diagnosing a problem?

Ethical considerations include maintaining confidentiality and privacy of patient information, obtaining informed consent for any procedures or tests, and avoiding conflicts of interest. It is also important to consider the potential impact of a diagnosis on the patient's well-being and to provide appropriate support and resources.