Alternate angle for sin (2*theta) ?

• Thread starter coconutgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Sin
In summary, the conversation is about solving a math problem involving finding two alternate angles in a rifle sighted for a 91.4-meter target. The first smaller angle, sin(2*theta), is found using a trigonometric identity and the second larger angle is obtained by subtracting 90 degrees from the first angle. The conversation also mentions the importance of providing a clear problem statement for efficient and effective help on forums like PF.
coconutgt
I believe this could be the easiest math post of the day, but it's been too long for me to recall. Anyways, I'm working on the problem where I have to find 2 alternate angles. I got the first (smaller) angle right which is sin(2*theta). Now I have to find the second (bigger) angle which is suppose to involve pi with the sin(2*theta) in some way. Thanks :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you post a sketch or something? Does the term "alternate" angle mean something significant in the problem? I'm not sure you've given enough info for us to be able to help you.

sin(2*theta) isn't an angle.

Although you may be looking for pi-2*theta, a better description of the problem would be good

The drawing shows an exaggerated view of a rifle that has been ‘sighted in' for a 91.4-meter target. If the muzzle speed of the bullet is v0 = 576 m/s, there are the two possible angles 1 and 2 between the rifle barrel and the horizontal such that the bullet will hit the target. One of these angles is so large that it is never used in target shooting. Give your answers as (a) the smaller angle and (b) the larger angle. (Hint: The following trigonometric identity may be useful: 2 sin cos = sin 2.)

Pic: http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l182/coconutgt/rifle.gif

I worked out and got the (a) part which is:

sin(2*theta) = (g*x)/(v0)^2

---substitute everything

sin(2*theta) = (9.8*91.4)/(576)^2

---then

theta = 1/2 * sin^-1[(9.8*91.4)/(576)^2]

theta = 0.07734 degree

I got it. What I did was graph the sin(2*theta). I then got 2 points from the graph which are:

45 degree - x = 0.07734 degree
45 degree + x = 89.92266 degree <--- (b) answer

So, the alternate angle is just 90 degree (pi/2) - the first smaller angle which came from the original sin(2*theta)

:D

Good job coconutgt. Welcome to PF, BTW. As you can probably tell, a clear problem statement helps us to help you in one or two replys at most. Mixed or partial problem statements make it a lot harder to help you with hints or error corrections quickly. PF is a great, diverse place.

1. What is the alternate angle for sin (2*theta)?

The alternate angle for sin (2*theta) is 2*theta itself. This means that the alternate angle is simply double the original angle.

2. How is the alternate angle for sin (2*theta) derived?

The alternate angle for sin (2*theta) is derived using the double angle formula for sine, which states that sin (2*theta) = 2*sin(theta)*cos(theta). This formula can be proved using basic trigonometric identities.

3. What is the significance of the alternate angle for sin (2*theta)?

The alternate angle for sin (2*theta) is important because it allows us to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve equations involving 2*theta. It is also used in various applications of trigonometry, such as in calculating the period of trigonometric functions.

4. Can the alternate angle for sin (2*theta) be negative?

Yes, the alternate angle for sin (2*theta) can be negative. This depends on the value of theta and the quadrant in which it lies. If theta is negative or lies in the third or fourth quadrant, then the alternate angle will be negative.

5. How is the alternate angle for sin (2*theta) used in real life?

The alternate angle for sin (2*theta) is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It helps in solving problems involving periodic motion, such as the motion of waves and pendulums. It is also used in calculating the amplitude and phase shift of trigonometric functions.