Diff EQ with the boundary conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation with given boundary conditions. The initial attempt at finding the general solution is incorrect, so a particular solution is added and the correct general solution is found. It is noted that when the values of mu and omega are equal, a more complicated function must be used as the particular solution.
Warr
I took an ODE course last year, but I seem to have forgotten some stuff. I need to solve this equation:

[tex]\frac{d^2u}{dt^2} + {\omega}^2u = f_osin({\mu}t)[/tex]

with the boundry conditions:

u(0) = 0, du/dt(0) = 0

When I tried to solve the homogenenous equation first, I got

[tex]u_g(t)=c_1e^{i{\omega}t}+c_2e^{-i{\omega}t}[/tex]

I then differentiated and set up the system with the two boundy conditions...but I got c1+c2=0 and c1-c2=0...c1=c2=0.

This seems wrong. Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I think those might be called initial conditions, not boundary conditions, not that it matters. Anyways, you need to find a particular solution, add it to your ug, then find the ci by looking at the initial conditions.

Here is what I did now:

let the particular solution be of the form [tex]u_p=Asin({\mu}t})[/tex]

differentiated twices gives [tex]u_p''=-A{\mu}^2sin({\mu}t})[/tex]

so now from my origional diff eq I get

[tex]A({\omega}^2-{\mu}^2)sin({\mu}t)=f_osin({\mu}t)[/tex]

hence[tex]A = \frac{f_o}{{\omega}^2-{\mu}^2}[/tex]

and therefore

[tex]u_p=\frac{f_o}{{\omega}^2-{\mu}^2}sin({\mu}t})[/tex]

so now the general solution is

[tex]u=c_1e^{i{\omega}t}+c_2e^{-i{\omega}t}+\frac{f_o}{{\omega}^2-{\mu}^2}sin({\mu}t})[/tex]

plugging in the initial conditions from the first post, I got

[tex]c_1=\frac{{\mu}f_o}{2({\mu}^2-{\omega}^2)}[/tex]

[tex]c_2=-\frac{{\mu}f_o}{2({\mu}^2-{\omega}^2)}[/tex]

and therefore the entire solution to be

[tex]u=\frac{{\mu}f_o}{2({\mu}^2-{\omega}^2)}e^{i{\omega}t}-\frac{{\mu}f_o}{2({\mu}^2-{\omega}^2)}e^{-i{\omega}t}+\frac{f_o}{{\omega}^2-{\mu}^2}sin({\mu}t})[/tex]

Last edited:
I think you're missing a factor of [itex]i\omega[/itex] in the denominators of c1 and c2.

You are right. Also, is it right to say that the solution exists as long as [tex]|\mu| {\neq} |\omega|[/tex] (assuming that they are both real)?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
If you are going to use [itex]sin(\mu t)[/itex] as you particular solution, why not use [itex]sin(\omega t)[/itex] and [itex]cos(\omega t)[/itex] in the general solution?

Yes, the solution is what you have as long as [itex]|\mu|\ne|\omega|[/itex]. However, if you are thinking that when they are equal, a solution does not exist, that is not necessarily so. You just need to use a more complicated function as your specific solution.

1. What are boundary conditions in differential equations and why are they important?

Boundary conditions are conditions that are applied to a differential equation at specific points or limits. They are important because they help to specify the behavior of the solution to the differential equation at these points, making it easier to solve the equation and obtain a unique solution.

2. How do you determine the number of boundary conditions needed for a differential equation?

The number of boundary conditions needed for a differential equation depends on the order of the equation. For a first-order differential equation, one boundary condition is needed. For a second-order differential equation, two boundary conditions are needed. In general, the number of boundary conditions needed is equal to the order of the differential equation.

3. What is the difference between initial value problems and boundary value problems in differential equations?

Initial value problems involve finding the solution to a differential equation at a single point, while boundary value problems involve finding the solution at multiple points or limits. Initial value problems typically have one or more initial conditions, while boundary value problems have one or more boundary conditions.

4. How do you solve a differential equation with boundary conditions?

To solve a differential equation with boundary conditions, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, or Laplace transforms. These methods involve substituting the boundary conditions into the differential equation and solving for the constants of integration to obtain the solution.

5. Can boundary conditions affect the stability of a solution to a differential equation?

Yes, boundary conditions can affect the stability of a solution to a differential equation. For example, certain boundary conditions may cause a solution to become unstable or have multiple solutions. It is important to carefully consider the boundary conditions when solving a differential equation to ensure the stability of the solution.