Calculating Integral with Series Form of Tan-1x: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses a series form of tan-1 x and the process of subtracting x and dividing by x cubed to arrive at a resulting series. The person is seeking assistance in finding the general form of the resulting series. They mention their attempted solution and ask for clarification.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
[tex]\int \frac{x-\tan^{-1} x}{x^3}[/tex]

I know the series form of tan-1 x = [tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2n+1}}{2n+1} [/tex]

I know I need to subtract the x from that series and divide the x cubed form that series but i can't seem to be able to right the resulting series in a general form, any hints?

I thought it would be: [tex] -1/3x + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} -x^{2n+2}/(2n+1)(2n+2)[/tex]. But this isn't it. Any Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how you arrived at that series. What you may want to consider doing also, for simplicity's sake, is to separate the integral into one that can be easily evaluated and one that should be done by series. Redo your solution paying particular attention to integrating -arctan(x)/x^3

Dividing by x^3 just reduces the power of x by 3, ie, x^n/x^3=x^(n-3). Your answer is close.

1. How do I calculate the integral with the series form of tan-1x?

To calculate the integral with the series form of tan-1x, follow these steps:

• Step 1: Write out the series expansion of tan-1x. It is given by: tan-1x = x - x^3/3 + x^5/5 - x^7/7 + ...
  • Step 2: Integrate each term of the series with respect to x.
  • Step 3: Substitute the limits of integration into the integrated series.
  • Step 4: Simplify the resulting expression to get the final answer.

2. What is the series expansion of tan-1x?

The series expansion of tan-1x is given by: tan-1x = x - x^3/3 + x^5/5 - x^7/7 + ...

3. Can I use the series form of tan-1x to calculate any integral?

Yes, the series form of tan-1x can be used to calculate any integral as long as the limits of integration are within the convergence radius of the series.

4. Is it necessary to write out the entire series when calculating the integral?

No, it is not necessary to write out the entire series when calculating the integral. You can stop at any desired term, depending on the required accuracy of the answer.

5. Can the series form of tan-1x be used to calculate definite integrals?

Yes, the series form of tan-1x can be used to calculate definite integrals. You just need to substitute the limits of integration into the integrated series and simplify the resulting expression to get the final answer.