Nyquist Sampling Thm - Question 2

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sampling
In summary: Essentially, you are reasoning that the differentiated signal has the same maximum frequency as the original signal, and therefore its Nyquist sampling frequency is also the same as the original signal's. This is because the spectrum of the differentiated signal is still band-limited in the same way as the original signal. Therefore, the Nyquist sampling frequency is still given by 2\omega_M. In summary, the differentiated signal has the same Nyquist sampling frequency as the original signal, which is given by 2\omega_M.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello,

This is the same type of question as the one I just posted before. This time I have obtained an answer and would really appreciate it if someone would check my reasoning:

Suppose a signal x(t) has a Nyquist sampling frequency [itex] \omega_s [/itex]. Compute the Nyquist sampling frequency for the following signal in terms of [itex] \omega_s [/itex]:

dx/dt

Again, my first thought was, how does the spectrum of the new signal compare to that of the original? Simple:

[tex] \mathcal{F}\{\frac{dx}{dt}\} = j\omega X(j\omega) [/tex]

So, I obtained an answer through reasoning rather than computation. Here was my reasoning: if the spectrum of the original signal x(t) has some maximum frequency [itex] \omega_M [/itex] i.e. it is band limited such that:

|X(jw)| = 0 for |w| > w_M

then we know that:

[tex] \omega_s = 2\omega_M [/tex]

Furthermore, |jwX(jw)| is zero whenever |X(jw)| is zero, therefore, the spectrum jwX(jw) of the differentiated signal is STILL zero outside of this frequency range i.e. it is band-limited in exactly the same way. Therefore, it's maximum frequency is also [itex] \omega_M [/itex], which means that its Nyquist sampling frequency is also given by [itex] 2\omega_M [/itex]. In other words, the Nyquist sampling frequency of the new signal is just the SAME as that of the old signal: [itex] \omega_s [/itex].

Does this reasoning hold?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it holds alright.

Hello,

Yes, your reasoning is correct. The Nyquist sampling frequency for a signal x(t) is determined by its maximum frequency, which is 2 times the bandwidth of the signal. Since the spectrum of the differentiated signal is still band-limited in the same way as the original signal, its maximum frequency is also 2 times the bandwidth and therefore, the Nyquist sampling frequency remains the same at \omega_s . This is known as the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem and it states that in order to perfectly reconstruct a signal, the sampling frequency must be at least twice the maximum frequency present in the signal. Your reasoning shows that this holds true even when the signal is differentiated. Great job!

1. What is the Nyquist Sampling Theorem?

The Nyquist Sampling Theorem, also known as the Nyquist-Shannon Sampling Theorem, is a fundamental concept in digital signal processing. It states that in order to accurately reconstruct a continuous signal from its samples, the sampling rate must be at least twice the highest frequency component of the signal. This means that the sampling rate should be at least 2 times the Nyquist frequency, which is half the sampling rate.

2. Why is the Nyquist Sampling Theorem important?

The Nyquist Sampling Theorem is important because it allows us to accurately reconstruct a continuous signal from its discrete samples. This is crucial in digital signal processing, as most signals in the real world are continuous and need to be converted to a digital format for processing and analysis. The theorem ensures that no information is lost during the sampling process.

3. How does the Nyquist Sampling Theorem relate to aliasing?

The Nyquist Sampling Theorem is closely related to aliasing, which is a phenomenon that occurs when a signal is sampled at a rate lower than the Nyquist rate. This can result in the frequency components of the signal being misrepresented or distorted, leading to errors in the reconstructed signal. The Nyquist Sampling Theorem helps to prevent aliasing by setting a minimum sampling rate.

4. Can the Nyquist Sampling Theorem be applied to all signals?

No, the Nyquist Sampling Theorem only applies to signals that are bandlimited, meaning they have a finite highest frequency component. If a signal is not bandlimited, it cannot be accurately reconstructed from its samples even if the Nyquist rate is met. This is known as the Nyquist rate being a necessary but not sufficient condition for accurate signal reconstruction.

5. How does the Nyquist Sampling Theorem impact the design of sampling systems?

The Nyquist Sampling Theorem has a significant impact on the design of sampling systems, as it sets a minimum sampling rate that must be met in order to accurately reconstruct a continuous signal. Engineers and scientists must take the Nyquist rate into consideration when designing sampling systems to ensure that they meet the necessary requirements for accurate signal reconstruction. Failure to do so can result in errors and distortions in the reconstructed signal.