Solve Spring Physics Help: More Vibrations Woho!

In summary, the conversation revolves around a system of vibrations involving a mass that can only move vertically, two weightless bars, and springs with different spring constants. The participants discuss how to calculate the spring constant for the entire system and the frequency of the vibrations. There is confusion about the spring constants and the correct formula for calculating frequency. It is suggested to check the spring constant values to resolve the issue.
ponjavic
More vibrations woho.

The mass (top) can only move vertically. the two bars are weightless. The springs are bottom left = 100N/m bottom middle = 100 bottom right = 300.

They are symmetric away from the bars.

So what I did was make the two on the bottom left into one as 100+100 = 200.

Then they are now in parallel with the one above. 1/k=1/200+1/200 which yields the whole left side = 100.

Now replace the 2 ones left with (100+300)/2 and voila k for the whole system = 200. Probably wrong.

The mass of the block is 1 kg. wn=root(k/m) and I get 14 something I think it is hz?

Answer is 2.76 Hz, what do I need to do?

Attachments

• springs.JPG
    springs.JPG
    1.8 KB · Views: 342
Physics news on Phys.org
I did not check your calculation as figure is not clear for me.
But SQRT(k/m) is for Angular Velocity.
For Frequency (f) which is in Hz you need to divide it by 1/(2*3.14)
If you send me the figure, I can work it out.

hmm that gives me 2.25 hz, so I guess the k should be higher. I'll draw a better figure now

Maybe that helps?

And the top left spring is 200!

Attachments

• springs.JPG
    springs.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Can you pl. check your Spring constants values.
Because if resultant spring constant becomes 300, then you get frequency as 2.76 Hz.
But with present values you supplied it's not possible.
Sorry for that.

1. What is the equation for spring constant?

The equation for spring constant is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

2. How do you calculate the period of a spring?

The period of a spring can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a vibrating spring?

The frequency of a vibrating spring is affected by the mass attached to the spring, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation.

4. How do you determine the amplitude of a vibrating spring?

The amplitude of a vibrating spring can be determined by measuring the maximum displacement of the spring from equilibrium.

5. What is the relationship between the frequency and period of a spring?

The frequency and period of a spring are inversely proportional, meaning that as the frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa.