Difference between Traction and Tractive Force ?

In summary, the conversation is about the difference between "Traction" and "Tractive Force" in relation to wheels and road surfaces. The speaker has found definitions for "Traction" but not for "Tractive Force" and is looking for a more specific and detailed explanation. The term "Tractive Force" is mostly used in relation to trains, while "Traction" is defined as the force that allows an object to grip onto a surface and move. The speaker is seeking clarification on the distinction between the two terms.
BotBuilder
Difference between "Traction" and "Tractive Force"?

I need to know exactly what the difference is between "Traction" and "Tractive Force". The more specific and detailed the better.

I can find definitions of "Traction" but nothing really on "Tractive Force".

This is specifically in reference to wheels and road surfaces.

Back story. I have someone who insists on using (teaching) that everything related to wheels and surfaces is "Tractive Force" and discounts "traction". That I can't find a definition of "Tractive Force" that helps me has had me wondering about this for years.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
A quick search on google indicated that the term "tractive force" seems to be mostly used in relation to trains...

moose said:
A quick search on google indicated that the term "tractive force" seems to be mostly used in relation to trains...

Then the free dictionary says something like this: Noun 1. driving wheel - a wheel that drives a motor vehicle (transforms torque into a tractive force)

at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/driving+wheel

so I decided to ask the difference between tractive force and traction here.

So I'm wondering, what is the difference between tractive force and traction?

(The more detailed the better)

1. What is the difference between traction and tractive force?

Traction and tractive force are related concepts in the field of physics and engineering, but they have distinct meanings. Traction refers to the amount of force required to move an object along a surface, while tractive force is the force applied to an object to move it along a surface. In other words, traction is the resistance to movement, while tractive force is the force that overcomes this resistance.

2. How are traction and tractive force measured?

Traction is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds, while tractive force is measured in units of weight, such as kilograms or pounds. Traction is usually calculated by dividing the force required to move an object by the weight of the object, while tractive force is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by its weight.

3. Can traction and tractive force be applied in the same direction?

No, traction and tractive force are applied in opposite directions. Traction is the force of resistance, so it is applied in the direction opposite to the intended movement of an object. Tractive force, on the other hand, is the force that overcomes this resistance and is applied in the direction of movement.

4. What are some examples of traction and tractive force in everyday life?

In everyday life, traction and tractive force can be seen in many situations. For example, when you push a shopping cart, your effort is the tractive force that overcomes the traction between the cart's wheels and the ground. When you drive a car, your engine's power creates the tractive force necessary to overcome the traction between the tires and the road surface.

5. How can traction and tractive force be increased?

The amount of traction and tractive force can be increased by various means, such as increasing the weight of the object, using a more efficient engine or motor, or improving the surface conditions (e.g. by adding friction) between the object and its surroundings. In some cases, external forces or mechanisms (e.g. pulleys or gears) can also be used to increase tractive force.