Spring Semester Schedule: 17 Credits, 10am-3pm

In summary: Not too bad, but it'll be a little rough.In summary, Jason's spring semester schedule includes 17 credits in aerospace engineering, C++ programming for engineers, French grammar and composition, calculus with analytic geometry II, mathematics, mechanics, vibrations, controls, optimization II, and dynamics. He is also taking a class on product and process development, another class on computer organization and design, and a fourth course in sequential programming. He will also be attending a local college part-time next semester.
z-component
Here's my spring semester schedule:

AERSP 001S - Aerospace Engineering First-Year Seminar (1)
CMPSC 201C - C++ Programming for Engineers (3)
FR 202 - French Grammar and Composition (3)
MATH 141E - Calculus With Analytic Geometry II (4)
MATH 220 - Matricies (2)
PHYS 211 - Mechanics (4)

Total of 17 credits. I start at 10 am and end at around 2-3 pm each day, on average.

Physics news on Phys.org
-ENME462 - Vibrations, Controls, & Optimization II
-ENME371 - Product and Process Development
-ENME664 - Dynamics

That's it for me, I'm sick of staying up late because of work. I am going to be part time next semester. Sweeet.

lunarmansion said:
C++ can be very time consuming. I took a C++ class this semester, to learn some programming-the class took up a great deal more time than I expected, time I would have rather spent on the classes for my major.

Just wait until you get into your upper level courses and have HW that can't be solved by hand. Not being good at C, or Matlab will be the death of you. We had one homework assignment in Vibrations that all had to be done with Matlab. The whole class pulled an all nighter on that HW, sigh...it really should have been a take home test not a HW.

CS 241 - Foundations of Sequential Programs (4)
CS 251 - Computer Organization and Design (3)
PMATH 346 - Group Theory (3)
PMATH 354 - Measure Theory and Fourier Analysis (3)
PHYS 122 - Mechanics and Waves 2 (4)

Problem Solving in Physical Geography
Lit Survey Dissertation
Quaternary Environment
Environmental Monitoring.

morphism said:

That will be a good one.

cyrusabdollahi said:
That will be a good one.
I'm looking forward to it the most. :biggrin:

I'm looking forward to Calc II the most.

Advanced Calculus II
Intro to Differential Geometry
Number Theory
Russian II

Last semester of high school

-AP Chemistry
-English IV
-AP Computer Science AB

then I go home, yay

The only class I need to graduate is the english...

moose said:

-AP Chemistry
-English IV
-AP Computer Science AB

then I go home, yay

Last semester of high school for me too.

AP Lit
Guitar
Photography
French III
Lifetime personal fitness

Then 2 classes at a local college
Modern Algebra
Introduction to geometries.

For me is

Reinforced Concrete Design III
Foundation Design
Water Installations (Sanitary in english?)
Legal Aspects and Insurance in Engineering
Project I (aka i need to start working on my thesis :eek:)

I will have a hell of a semester :mad:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Just wait until you get into your upper level courses and have HW that can't be solved by hand. Not being good at C, or Matlab will be the death of you. We had one homework assignment in Vibrations that all had to be done with Matlab. The whole class pulled an all nighter on that HW, sigh...it really should have been a take home test not a HW.

Hahaha i know what you mean, but what about the class projects? it's like every class has a huge project!.

For this semester, i have to design the structural blueprints for a building in wood, another in steel and another in reinforced concrete. I am way behind on this!, and i also have a highway in mountains :bugeye:, i haven't finished designing!. Not to mention 2 budgets i need to finish, one about a building, another about a highway. I got one halfway done, another i haven't even started.

I'll see how i will manage .

morphism said:

those are uwaterloo courses right?

Just wondering.. generally, is it implicitly assumed that students in Pmath come from the advanced sections of the 100 and 200 math courses?

-first year student :tongue:

Sisyphus said:

Just wondering.. generally, is it implicitly assumed that students in Pmath come from the advanced sections of the 100 and 200 math courses?

Good point. The codes look exactly like courses from UW. Don't ask why I know.

Next term, I have...

Differential Equations
Mathematics Integrated with Computer Applications (something like that)
Abstract Algebra II
Statistics
Topics in Topology and Dynamical Systems

I JUST NOTICED THAT I HAVE FREAKING 8:00 CLASSES EVERY FREAKING DAY NEXT TERM! I HAD FREAKING TWO 9:30 CLASSES THIS TERM AND I DIDN'T EVEN GO TO ANY OF THEM... LITERALLY! I'M DOOMED!

Time to start going to bed early. :frown:

Hey Jason,

In the summer I'm taking PDE's and Complex Variables. How hard are those classes?

I remember most of my Calc 1-3. Not much of my DEQ though, I can manage. A little of Laplace Transforms. It's been two years since my last math course, and I forgot a lot of little stuff. Integration by parts, the integral or derivative of some functions. It's in the back of my memory banks somewhere, but if you don't use it, you lose it.

Last edited:
Sisyphus said:

Not necessarily, although the majority of the students taking them do come from the advanced sections. If you haven't taken the advanced courses, then PMATH 331 is more or less an essential prereq if you want to take the PMATH analysis courses.

JasonRox said:
I JUST NOTICED THAT I HAVE FREAKING 8:00 CLASSES EVERY FREAKING DAY NEXT TERM!
Yeah, I have an 8:30 class every day next term. It's going to be really tough. :frown:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Hey Jason,

In the summer I'm taking PDE's and Complex Variables. How hard are those classes?

I remember most of my Calc 1-3. Not much of my DEQ though, I can manage. A little of Laplace Transforms. It's been two years since my last math course, and I forgot a lot of little stuff. Integration by parts, the integral or derivative of some functions. It's in the back of my memory banks somewhere, but if you don't use it, you lose it.

I've never taken PDE's but for Complex Variables, well you don't need to know anything.

For Complex Variables, I would just suggest getting a Schaum's Outline for it. I never did and that was my biggest mistake. I get them from now on.

I hope so. As for Schaums, never used them. I don't see much value in them. There more like half assed textbooks, and I can't stand that. Though, to each his own.

Last edited:
morphism said:
Not necessarily, although the majority of the students taking them do come from the advanced sections. If you haven't taken the advanced courses, then PMATH 331 is more or less an essential prereq if you want to take the PMATH analysis courses.

cool, thanks

my schedule for next term looks like..

Linear Algebra I
Calculus II
CS 136- elementary algorithm design//data abstraction
Probability
Physics 122 - mechanics and waves II

Sisyphus said:
cool, thanks

my schedule for next term looks like..

Linear Algebra I
Calculus II
CS 136- elementary algorithm design//data abstraction
Probability
Physics 122 - mechanics and waves II

Probability and Physics 122 seems like they should be taken after Calc II. (For probability you need calc III for the double integrals of the Joint probablity Functions; for Physics calc II should be a prereq for physics I). That's not to say you can't do it all at once, but it would be better to have Calc II done before hand.

I am an incoming freshman at University of California at Santa Cruz, which uses the 'quarter'...not the 'semester'...system.

Anyhow,

>What I will enroll in:

Math 105A -Real Analysis I
Phys5B - Physics 5B
Chem108A - Organic Chemistry I
Biol20A - Biology I
Russ5 - Russian V (duh)

>What I will (have to, by 'time constraints') self-study:

Linear Algebra & Differential Equations*
C (the programming language)*

>And if I have time:

Molecular Imaging (for a certain research project w/faculty)

CS 377, Operating Systems
Probably starting a 2-semester senior project with neural networks
Assorted other courses

I haven't really made most of my choices yet. There are almost no courses that I'm being forced to take just to get a degree, so I can snoop around for a while before signing up.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Probability and Physics 122 seems like they should be taken after Calc II. (For probability you need calc III for the double integrals of the Joint probablity Functions; for Physics calc II should be a prereq for physics I). That's not to say you can't do it all at once, but it would be better to have Calc II done before hand.

Probability is actually a second year course but I saw that it had a Calc II as a co-req, so I signed up for it thinking that I was safe. The calendar's description of the course:

The laws of probability, discrete and continuous random variables, expectation, central limit theorem.

As for the physics class, the only requirement for it was the previous physics class, which I admit, actually assumed quite a bit of knowledge of calculus during lectures, but had very little of it for assignments and exams.

Seeing as how I still have time to change things up, I might reconsider my options. Thanks a lot for the tip

You can do it, there's only a small section that will use calc III. Just put a little tab in your sat book to remind yourself to go re-read it after you take calc III.

Other than that, the rest is basic algebra.

continuous random variables

That's where you use calc III.

If it's STAT 230/40 then you're safe. There's minimal calc 3 material in there. Personally I would recommend you take MATH 239/49 (combinatorics & graph theory) before taking probability.

Differential Equations
Specialized Communications for Technology/Engineering Students
Advanced Electrical Networks (with Lab)
Microcomputer Systems Technology (with Lab)

This might be the most exciting semester for me...

First year Materials Science & Engineering major at UCLA. I too am on the quarter system, so for winter quarter I am taking:

Chem20BH (Chem Energetics and Change) - 4 units
Chem20L (General Chemistry Laboratory) - 3 units
HNRS 101A (Student Research Forum) - 2 units
HNRS 101B (Undergraduate Science Journal) - 2 units
Math31B (Calculus and Analytic Geometry) - 4 units
Physics 1A (Mechanics) - 5 units

I am just getting into the upper division Physics classes.
My classes will be:
- Phys 3325 – Electronics (+ Lab)
- Phys 3353 – Modern Physics
- Phys 3311 – Theoretical Physics [Essentially a math class]
- Math 3310 – Theoretical Concepts of Calculus
- CS 1337 – Computer Science I (Java) [An easy class to round off my semester]
Total 16 hours

I am actually quite pleased with my schedule this semester, even though it did take almost 4 hours of sitting in the waiting room to accomplish this. All my classes start at, or later than, 1:30 pm (except on Wend.) and I do not have class at all on Friday.

moose said:

-AP Chemistry
-English IV
-AP Computer Science AB

then I go home, yay

Correction:

-AP Chemistry
-English IV

Computer science is a waste of time at my school

Outside of that extremely easy schedule, I'll be working about 50 hours a week.

Quarter System...Freshman:

-Intro to Humanities (required)
-Math 52H: Honors Multivariable (Integral) Calculus...in other words...proofs and...proofs :)
Math 143: Differential Geometry
Physics 63: Electricity, Magnetism, and Waves
Physics 64: Advanced Electromagnetism Laboratory

18 Hours. It's going to be a fun quarter. And I say that without any irony at all. Also, I'll probably be re-learning my chem so I can take O-Chem Spring quarter, which promises to be even more fun than this one.

My classes are starting in a week or two. Compared to some of you, I'm not taking many courses.

For my third year spring semester, I'm taking:
M 215B Grad. Algebraic Topology 2 (think characteristic classes)
M 274 Algebraic Stacks
M 196 Honors Thesis in Heegaard-Floer homology

I've finished my prerequisite classes for the professional program I am hoping to enter next year, so this semester I am taking a bit of a break and taking only 3 classes that I am interested in.

Microbiology 265
Cell Biology 201
Physical Geology 201

I wanted to get into an analytical chemistry or organic chemistry class but the ones I wanted were only offered last semester when I couldn't fit them in so I'm pretty disappointed about that.

1. What does 17 credits mean in terms of workload?

17 credits typically means that a student is taking a full course load for the semester. This can vary depending on the institution, but generally it equates to around 5-6 classes.

2. Is 10am-3pm a common schedule for spring semester?

Yes, 10am-3pm is a common schedule for spring semester. This allows for a balance between morning and afternoon classes, and also allows for breaks in between for lunch or studying.

3. How many days a week will I have classes with this schedule?

This schedule could potentially have classes scheduled for 5 days a week, depending on the length and frequency of each class. However, it is also possible for this schedule to have classes scheduled for only 3-4 days a week, with longer class periods.

4. How many hours of class time will this schedule have per week?

This schedule will have approximately 15 hours of class time per week. However, this can vary depending on the length and frequency of each class, as well as any additional lab or discussion sections.

5. Is 17 credits a heavy workload for spring semester?

It depends on the individual student and their ability to manage their workload. For some students, 17 credits may be a heavy workload, while for others it may be manageable. It is important to prioritize and manage time effectively in order to succeed with this workload.