Solving f'(0): Integral of x^-2 (x-5)^-5 f(x) dx

• Thread starter iamtheman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the given problem is to determine the value of f'(0) for a quadratic function f(x) with f(0)=6, which also satisfies the condition that the integral of f(x) / (x^2(x-5)^5) dx is a rational function. This can be solved by using partial fractions and writing f(x) as a general quadratic, then integrating it. The constraints of the integral and f(0)=6 can be used to determine f'(0). The solution for f'(0) is -6.
iamtheman
Anyone have any ideas how to solve this? (Find f'(0)

Let f(x) be a quadratic function such that f(0)=6 and

integral of (f(x) / x^2 (x-5)^5) dx

f(x)
---------- dx
x^2 (x-5)^5

is a rational function.
Determine the value of f'(0)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
zero 0

Anyone have any ideas how to solve this?
i don't see how zero answers this question.

i could see zero as being the solution, if that were correct, but not HOW to solve it.

the key fact is that the antiderivative of a rational function of the form k x^n is itself rational iff n!=-1. so use partial fractions and write f(x) as a general quadratic. then integrate it. since you know the integral is a rational function, that means NO LOGS can be in the integral when you're done. that will put a constraint on the coefficients in f.

f(0)=6 puts another constraint on the coefficients of f (well, one coefficient).

then write f'(0) in terms of the coefficients of f. using the constraints found earlier, this should hopefully give you f'(0) and I'm guessing you won't even be able to determine all coefficients of f yet you will be able to tell what f'(0) is.

i get f'(0)=-6 but i might have done it wrong.

another tip: you don't need to do the whole integral once you see what will make logs disappear.

1. What is the purpose of solving f'(0) in this equation?

The purpose of solving f'(0) in this equation is to find the value of the derivative of the function f(x) at the point x=0. This can help determine the slope of the function at that point and provide valuable information about the behavior of the function.

2. How do I solve for f'(0) in this equation?

To solve for f'(0), you will need to take the derivative of the function f(x) with respect to x. This will involve using the power rule and the chain rule to simplify the expression. Then, plug in x=0 and solve for f'(0).

3. What is the integral of x^-2 (x-5)^-5 in this equation?

The integral of x^-2 (x-5)^-5 in this equation is a complex integral that involves using the substitution method and partial fractions. The final result will be a logarithmic expression.

4. How does the value of f'(0) affect the behavior of the function?

The value of f'(0) can provide information about the slope and concavity of the function at x=0. If f'(0) is positive, the function is increasing at that point. If f'(0) is negative, the function is decreasing at that point. If f'(0) is zero, the function has a horizontal tangent at x=0.

5. Can I solve for f'(0) using numerical methods?

Yes, you can solve for f'(0) using numerical methods such as the Secant method or Newton's method. These methods involve approximating the derivative at x=0 by using nearby points and finding the root of the resulting equation.