Solving the Partial Derivative Equation: xy*z^2

In summary, the expert found a general solution to a first order PDE in variables that can be written as: ln z=Cx^2+y^2+2C+f(C).
tehno
[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\cdot \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}=xyz^2[/tex]

People,do we know how to solve this?
I'm looking for the explicite solution z=f(x,y) so far I'm unable to solve this .Thinking of it for a half a day without much of the progress.Even though I haven't tryed all dirty tricks yet.
:uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
Expert help would be appreciated.

Well, you might see how separation of variables can help you:
[tex]z=g(x)h(y)\to{g}'gh'h=xy(gh)^{2}\to\frac{g'}{gx}=\frac{yh}{h'}[/tex]

Since LHS is a function of x, whereas RHS is a function of y, we get:
[tex]g'(x)=Kxg(x), h'(y)=\frac{1}{K}yh(y)\to{g}(x)=Ae^{\frac{Kx^{2}}{2}},h(y)=Be^{\frac{y^{2}}{2K}}[/tex]
with A, B, K constants.

Note that it by no means follows from this that all solutions of your PDE must be on this form!

For example, let f(x,y)=G(xy). Then:
[tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}}=yG',\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}}=xG'\to{(G')^{2}}=G^{2}\to{G'}=\pm{G}, z_{+}(x,y)=Ae^{xy},z_{-}(x,y)=Be^{-xy}[/tex]

These radically different special solutions should tell you that to arrive at some simple, generally valid formula for the solutions is impossible. That's usually the case with non-linear PDE's in particular.

Last edited:
Thanks arildno for the inputs.
Neverthless,I have good news:I managed today to find "all" PDE solutions as representation in formal explicite expression z=f(x,y).
Indeed ,as you indicate,that's really broad spectrum of the functions .
:smile:

I dis-assume it is a "simple" formula..

arildno said:
I dis-assume it is a "simple" formula..
arildno said:
These radically different special solutions should tell you that to arrive at some simple, generally valid formula for the solutions is impossible. That's usually the case with non-linear PDE's in particular.

But I arrived at the generally valid (and explicite!) formula that describes all the solutions of this PDE.
For the first time I effectively find this forum helpful for me,becouse your suggestion of thinking in "exponential terms" was the idea (there's no a classical linear superpositon ,however).
The method of the separation of variables is natural there,but I was blind or something haven't had noticed it before.

The most important was the first step :to write PDE as

[tex]z^{-1}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\cdot z^{-1}\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}=xy[/tex]
Other work I will leave as an exercise.
Here's my general formula:

[tex]z=e^{\frac{C^2x^2+y^2}{2C}+ \phi (C)}[/tex]

where [itex]\phi[/itex] is some derivabile arbitrary function such that:

[itex]\phi '(C) +\frac{x^2}{2}-\frac{y^2}{2C^2}=0[/itex]

Last edited:
Oh, really?
As far as I know,
[tex]\frac{1}{z}\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}}=\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}(\log(|z(x,y)|)+f(y))[/tex]
where f is an arbitrary function of y
Did you take that into account as well?

EDIT:

Personally, I'd have thought some progress might be made to make a switch to polar, or hyperbolic coordinates, but I haven't done so myself..

Last edited:
I collected all the solutions by my formula, neglecting variable interchangable ones,becouse I solved PDE.Try to solve PDE.You will see.

Hmm...since I'm not very clever, I won't be able to do so.
Perhaps you can post your solution in a while? :smile:

All righty.I think ,at least,I owe you that so here is the method.

Write PDE as:
[tex]\frac{\partial z}{z\partial x}\cdot \frac{\partial z}{z\partial y}=xy[/tex]

Let's search for the solutions of this PDE in implicite form.
In order to do that note:

[tex](ln\ z)'=\frac{1}{z}[/tex].

Having on mind this and by introducing substitutions:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=p,\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=q [/tex]

our PDE turns into:

[tex]p\cdot q=xy[/tex]

Voila!
The separation of the variables occurs.We have:

[tex]\frac{p}{x}=\frac{y}{q}=C \rightarrow du=Cxdx+\frac{ydy}{C}\rightarrow u=\frac{Cx^2}{2}+\frac{y^2}{2C}+C_{1}[/tex]

Therefore the complete integral of PDE is:

[tex]ln\ z=\frac{Cx^2}{2}+\frac{y^2}{2C} +C_{1}[/tex]

General solution of first order PDE in variables ,knowing one solution H
is obtained per definiton from the system:

[tex]H(x,y,z,a,b)=0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial a} + \frac{\partial H}{\partial b}\cdot f'(a)=0[/tex]

So,under assuption that between parameters a and b exists functional relation f(a)=b ,where f is an arbitrary derivabile function the general solution ,after solving the system can be written as:

[tex]ln\ z=\frac{Cx^2}{2}+\frac{y^2}{2C}+2C + f(C)[/tex]

[tex]f'(C) +\frac{x^2}{2}-\frac{y^2}{2C^2}=0[/tex]

Where f is arbitrary function and C real constant.

This solution isn't equivalent in notation with the one given previously.
However, I stressed that I was looking for only solutions given in explicite form z=f(x,y).Hence..

Last edited:

1. What is a partial derivative equation?

A partial derivative equation is an equation that calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its independent variables while holding all other variables constant. It is used in multivariable calculus to analyze how a function changes in different directions.

2. How is the partial derivative of a function with two variables calculated?

To calculate the partial derivative of a function with two variables, the variable of interest is treated as the only variable and all other variables are treated as constants. The derivative is then calculated using the same rules as a regular derivative, such as the power rule or the chain rule.

3. What does the symbol "∂" mean in a partial derivative equation?

The symbol "∂" represents a partial derivative. It is used to differentiate between a partial derivative and a regular derivative, which is represented by the symbol "d".

4. How do you solve a partial derivative equation?

To solve a partial derivative equation, use the rules of differentiation to find the partial derivative of the function with respect to the given variable. Then, plug in the values of the variables to evaluate the derivative at a specific point.

5. What is the purpose of solving a partial derivative equation?

Solving a partial derivative equation allows for the analysis of how a function changes in different directions. It is useful in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to understand how a system will respond to changes in its variables.