Calculation Showing M_mu_nu Representation of Lorentz Generators

In summary, The M_mu_nu representation of the Lorentz generators gives rise to a (1/2,1/2) representation when acting on a Lorentz 4-vector. The calculations are done by starting with different representations of the generators and deducing the properties of the transformation. The vector representation is (1/2,1/2) and not (1,0)+(0,0) as previously thought.
alphaone
Could somebody please show me the calculation which shows that the M_mu_nu representation of the Lorentz generators gives rise to a (1,0)+(0,0) representation? Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this is possible. [itex] M_{\mu\nu} [/itex] is different for every representation and the calculations are actually the other way around. The generators are computed by knowing how the spinors behave under restricted LT's.

Thanks for the reply. I am sorry probably my notation is uncommon. When I said M_{\mu\nu} I meant the representation of the Lorentz generators when acting on a Lorentz 4-vector(so antisymmetric matrices, when all indices are raised). Also the way I learned it we started at differrent reps of the Lorentz generators and then afterwards defined the fields the transformation could act on and deduced its properties - seems to me to be some sort of chicken and egg problem. However I thought that it should be possible to compute that the vector representation is (1,0)+(0,0) as this is basically the spin of the object.

Actually the vector representation is (1/2,1/2). (1,0)+(0,0) is a reducibile representation and is made up of a self-dual 2-form and a scalar.

1. What is the M_mu_nu representation of Lorentz generators?

The M_mu_nu representation of Lorentz generators is a mathematical framework used to describe the transformations of coordinates and physical quantities between different inertial reference frames in the special theory of relativity. It is a representation of the Lorentz group, which is a mathematical group that describes the symmetries of space and time.

2. How is the M_mu_nu representation related to the Lorentz group?

The M_mu_nu representation is one of several representations of the Lorentz group, which is a mathematical group that describes the symmetries of space and time. The M_mu_nu representation specifically refers to the generators of the Lorentz group, which are mathematical objects that describe the transformations between different inertial reference frames in the special theory of relativity.

3. What are the M_mu_nu generators?

The M_mu_nu generators are mathematical objects that describe the transformations of coordinates and physical quantities between different inertial reference frames in the special theory of relativity. They are part of the M_mu_nu representation of the Lorentz group, and there are six generators in total, corresponding to the six independent components of the Lorentz transformation matrix.

4. How are the M_mu_nu generators calculated?

The M_mu_nu generators are calculated using a specific formula that involves the four-dimensional spacetime coordinates and the Lorentz transformation matrix. This formula is derived from the basic principles of the special theory of relativity, including the invariance of the speed of light and the principle of relativity.

5. What is the significance of the M_mu_nu representation in physics?

The M_mu_nu representation is significant in physics because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the transformations of coordinates and physical quantities between different inertial reference frames in the special theory of relativity. This is essential for accurately describing the behavior of objects moving at high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields, and has important implications for many areas of modern physics, such as particle physics and cosmology.