Do you know what's in a flu shot?

• Thread starter Mallignamius
  • Start date
In summary, it is important to wait until lots of other people have taken the vaccine, just in case people start dying from the flu. Flu shots are 'mandatory' in the military, but I managed to miss out on them for over 10 straight years.
Mallignamius
This will make you think about your next doctor visit.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2163175142473074044"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't watch videos on this computer, however the components in a flu vaccine change every year. The influenza virus mutates very rapidly and rare that a vaccine is any good within a year.

The variety always makes me a little nervous. Flu shots were 'mandatory' in the military, but I managed to miss out on them for over 10 straight years. (They started putting me in charge of making sure everyone got their flu shots, which made it hard for me to sneak out of them - I kept following myself home until I finally buckled just to stop the harrassment. I thought putting me in charge of flu shots was a particularly cruel thing for our commander to do. After that I moved to a squadron where I was on mobility making vaccines impossible to dodge).

At a minimum, I prefer to wait until lots of other people have taken the vaccine, just in case people start dying (there hasn't been mass dyings in around 30 years of vaccines, but just to be safe, you know).

Of course, to be honest, needles scare the hell out of me. :redface:

*sighs* Not again.

Here, read this:
http://www.cdc.gov/od/science/iso/thimerosal.htm

And...
Do all flu vaccines contain thimerosal?

No. Influenza vaccine is currently available both with thimerosal as a preservative and preservative-free. For the 2004-05 influenza season, it is likely that 6-8 million doses of inactivated influenza vaccine without thimerosal as a preservative will be available. This represents a substantial increase in the available amount of inactivated influenza vaccine without thimerosal as a preservative, compared with about 3.2 million doses that were available during the 2003-04 influenza season.

The removal of thimerosal as a preservative from influenza vaccine is a complicated process. The total amount of flu vaccine without thimerosal as a preservative will be increased as vaccine manufacturing capabilities are expanded. In the meantime, it is important to keep in mind that the benefits of influenza vaccination outweigh the theoretical risk, if any, for exposure to thimerosal. Each year, an average of about 36,000 people in the United States die from influenza, and 114,000 have to be admitted to the hospital as a result of influenza. People age 65 years and older, people of any age with chronic medical conditions, and very young children are more likely to get complications from influenza.
http://www.cdc.gov/nip/vacsafe/concerns/thimerosal/faqs-thimerosal.htm#12

And for general issues of vaccine safety:
http://www.cdc.gov/od/science/iso/

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little side humor. Okay, I'll stop.

Heh. I wonder why people are always so quick to be scared of vaccinees. Whooping cough, flu, measels, chicken pox, and HPV have all had their share!

1. What is a flu shot?

A flu shot is a vaccination that helps protect against the influenza virus. It contains small amounts of inactive or weakened flu viruses that help the body build immunity and fight off the virus if exposed.

2. How does a flu shot work?

When a flu shot is administered, the body recognizes the inactive or weakened flu viruses and produces antibodies to fight against them. These antibodies remain in the body and are ready to attack if the person is exposed to the actual flu virus.

3. Is it safe to get a flu shot?

Yes, flu shots are considered safe for most people. However, there are some individuals who should not get the flu shot, such as those with severe allergies to any of the ingredients in the vaccine or those who have had a severe reaction to a flu shot in the past. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before getting a flu shot.

4. What are the common ingredients in a flu shot?

The ingredients in a flu shot may vary depending on the manufacturer, but the most common ingredients include inactivated or weakened flu viruses, preservatives, and stabilizers to keep the vaccine effective, and small amounts of egg proteins, gelatin, and antibiotics. These ingredients help the vaccine work effectively and prevent contamination.

5. How long does a flu shot last?

The protection from a flu shot typically lasts for about six months. However, the effectiveness of the vaccine may vary depending on factors such as the person's age, health, and the flu strains circulating in a given year. That's why it is recommended to get a flu shot every year to ensure maximum protection.