J j thomson's previous experiment

• Thread starter gnome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the previous experiment that Thomson did was to determine the velocity of charged particles in a magnetic field. He used the same equation as the one he used for the famous J J Thomson experiment. However, the equation doesn't really give you the information you are looking for.
gnome
j j thomson's "previous" experiment

I thought I was going to like this book, but it's defying me.

I'm staring at pg 123 of Tipler's Modern Physics text (3rd ed.) This is talking about an experiment he says Thomson did before the "famous" J J Thomson experiment. It goes like this:

In his first measurement, Thomson determined the velocity from measurements of the total charge and the temperature change occurring when the beam struck an insulated collector. For N particles, the total charge is Q = Ne, while the temperature rise is proportional to the energy loss W = N(½mu2). Eliminating N and u from these equations, we obtain

[tex]\frac{e}{m} = \frac{2W}{B^2R^2Q}\hspace{200}eq.\hspace{5} 3-3[/tex]
That's all he says about that experiment, except for a brief note later on that the measurements obtained from that one were actually more accurate than the measurements he obtained from the later, and more well-known, method.

Anyway, on the preceding page, he talks a bit about the circular path followed by charged particles in a magnetic field and gives

[tex] quB = \frac{mu^2}{R}[/tex]

Obvious enough. (Here, little q is of course the charge on an individual particle, so it corresponds to e, not Q, in the other equations.)

But I don't see how that helps in getting to equation 3-3 above. All I get from the two preliminary equations is
[tex]\frac{e}{m} = \frac{Qu^2}{2W} [/tex]
To get from that to his equation 3-3 I have to say
[tex]u^2 = \frac{4W^2}{B^2R^2Q^2}[/tex]
and I don't see anything that let's me say that.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with Thomson's "previous" experiment, but if you look at the two equations:

[tex] quB = \frac{mu^2}{R}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{e}{m} = \frac{Qu^2}{2W} [/tex]

If you solve for u in the first equation you get

[tex]u = \frac{eBR}{m}[/tex]

which you can then substitute into the second equation to get the desired equation.

cookiemonster

Hmmm...I hate to admit to how long I didn't see that.

Thanks for providing the requisite smack in the head.

1. What was J J Thomson's previous experiment?

J J Thomson's previous experiment was known as the cathode ray tube experiment, which he conducted in 1897.

2. What was the purpose of J J Thomson's previous experiment?

The purpose of J J Thomson's previous experiment was to investigate the properties of cathode rays and to determine the nature of these rays.

3. How did J J Thomson's previous experiment contribute to the discovery of the electron?

Through his experiment, J J Thomson was able to demonstrate that cathode rays were made up of negatively charged particles, which he named electrons. This discovery contributed to the understanding of the structure of atoms and led to the development of the atomic model.

4. What were the key findings of J J Thomson's previous experiment?

J J Thomson's experiment showed that cathode rays could be deflected by electric and magnetic fields, indicating that they were made up of particles with a negative charge. He also determined the charge-to-mass ratio of these particles, which led to the discovery of the electron.

5. How did J J Thomson's previous experiment impact the field of physics?

J J Thomson's previous experiment provided evidence for the existence of subatomic particles and helped to develop the atomic model. It also paved the way for further research and discoveries in the field of particle physics.