Average rate of change help please

In summary, the average rate of change for the function g(t) = 1/(3t-2) between t = 0 and t = a + 1 can be calculated using the ARoC formula and simplifying to 3/(6a+2).
willywonka12345

Homework Statement

For the function g(t) = 1/(3t-2) determine the average rate of change between the values t = 0 and t = a + 1

Homework Equations

ARoC formula : f(b) - f(a) over b-a

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think I am doing it right but can only get so far and then get stuck.

I set it up : 1/3(a+1)-2 (-) 1/3(0)-2 all over a+1-0
I calculate and get : 1/3a+1 (+) 1/2 all over a+1
I get a common denominator to add 1/3a+1 (+) 1/2 : 2/6a+2 (+) 3a+1/6a+2 all over a+1
and then I am not sure, or even what I have is close to coming correct. Please help. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I would prefer you used parentheses to clarify! f(0)= -1/2 certainly and
f(a+1)= 1/(3(a+1)-2)= 1/(3a+1) so f(a+1)- f(0)= 1/(3a+1)+ 1/2. As you say, the common denominator is 2(3a+1)= 6a+ 2.

2/(6a+2)+ (3a+1)/(6a+2)= (3a+3)/(6a+2)= 3(a+1)/(6a+2). It's easy to divide that by a+1.

HallsofIvy said:
I would prefer you used parentheses to clarify! f(0)= -1/2 certainly and
f(a+1)= 1/(3(a+1)-2)= 1/(3a+1) so f(a+1)- f(0)= 1/(3a+1)+ 1/2. As you say, the common denominator is 2(3a+1)= 6a+ 2.

2/(6a+2)+ (3a+1)/(6a+2)= (3a+3)/(6a+2)= 3(a+1)/(6a+2). It's easy to divide that by a+1.

:redface: Sorry, Ok, I made it harder than it was I think, for the final answer you get : 3/(6a+2) :) ??

What is the average rate of change?

The average rate of change is a mathematical concept that measures the average rate at which one quantity changes in relation to another quantity over a specific period of time.

How do you calculate the average rate of change?

The average rate of change can be calculated by finding the difference between the initial and final values of the quantity and dividing it by the corresponding difference in time.

What is the significance of average rate of change?

The average rate of change is an important tool in mathematics and science because it allows us to understand and analyze how quantities change over time. It helps us make predictions and draw conclusions about various real-world phenomena.

Can the average rate of change be negative?

Yes, the average rate of change can be negative. This means that the quantity is decreasing over time. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the average rate of change when interpreting its meaning.

How is average rate of change different from instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change measures the overall change in a quantity over a specific period of time, while the instantaneous rate of change measures the change at a specific moment in time. The instantaneous rate of change can be found by taking the limit of the average rate of change as the time interval approaches zero.