Is 11 dimensional space infinite?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of parallel universes and the M-theory which predicts that our universe is a brane in an 11 dimensional space. The discussion includes questions about the nature of this 11 dimensional space and whether parallel universes are literally parallel to our brane. The possibility of determining the direction of our brane in the 11 dimensional space is also mentioned. The concept of parallel in 11D is also briefly touched upon.
fournier17
Hey guys, I am a physics newbie that just gone done watching parallel universes. From what I understand M-theory predicts that our universe is a brane that all matter is attached to, and its floating in a 11 dimensional space. Is the 11 dimensional space infinite or finite? Also are the paralled universes that are believed by some to exist; literally parallel to our brane. Is it possible to determine which direction our brane is heading in the 11 dimensional space?

Physics news on Phys.org
fournier17 said:
Also are the paralled universes that are believed by some to exist; literally parallel to our brane.

I am not an expert by any means on this subject but I would think that the answer depends on the definition of parallel. For example, I believe Euclid defined two lines to be parallel if they never intersect. If we can think of this in a similar way then it seems that as long at the two objects of interest do not intersect then they would be considered parallel. This seems to make intuitive sense in terms of branes I don't think one would want other universe crossing our own. That probably doesn't answer any questions but the definition of parallel in 11D is kinda interesting.

Cheers

I can say that the concept of 11 dimensional space is still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the field of physics. While M-theory does propose the existence of 11 dimensions, the nature of these dimensions and whether they are infinite or finite is still not fully understood.

Some theories suggest that these dimensions could be infinite, while others propose that they could be finite and wrap around themselves in a compact way. It is also possible that the dimensions could be a combination of both infinite and finite.

Regarding parallel universes, the idea of multiple universes existing in parallel to our own is a fascinating concept, but it is still a hypothetical idea and has not been proven by scientific evidence. Therefore, it is difficult to determine the exact relationship between these parallel universes and our own brane in 11 dimensional space.

As for the direction of our brane in 11 dimensional space, it is currently not possible to determine this as our understanding of higher dimensions is limited. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may eventually shed more light on this topic.

Overall, the concept of 11 dimensional space is a complex and intriguing subject that requires further study and research to fully understand. As scientists, we continue to explore and analyze these ideas in order to gain a deeper understanding of our universe and its potential dimensions.

1. What is 11 dimensional space?

11 dimensional space is a mathematical concept that extends the traditional three-dimensional space we experience in our daily lives. It is a theoretical construct used in physics and mathematics to describe the behavior and properties of particles and fields.

2. Is 11 dimensional space a physical reality?

No, 11 dimensional space is not a physical reality that we can directly observe. It is a mathematical concept used in theoretical physics and mathematics to help explain the behavior of particles and fields in our universe.

3. Is 11 dimensional space infinite?

This is a debated topic among scientists and there is currently no consensus. Some theories, such as string theory, suggest that 11 dimensional space may be infinite. However, other theories propose that it may be finite.

4. How does 11 dimensional space impact our understanding of the universe?

11 dimensional space is a key component in many theories of physics, such as string theory and M-theory. It helps explain phenomena that cannot be fully understood in our traditional three-dimensional space. It also provides a framework for understanding the fundamental forces of the universe.

5. Can we ever observe or measure 11 dimensional space?

As of now, there is no experimental evidence to support the existence of 11 dimensional space. It is a theoretical concept and it is currently not possible to directly observe or measure it. However, scientists continue to study and explore this concept in hopes of finding ways to test its existence.