Text books for self study

In summary, the speaker is a junior who will be taking honors level precalculus courses in the upcoming school year. They are concerned about the reputation of the only honors level precalc teacher and are looking for recommendations for textbooks to study over the summer. The two precalc courses required for AP Calculus cover various topics such as functions, systems, sequences, and trigonometry. The speaker is advised to look for a precalc or college algebra with trigonometry book from the years 1970 to 2000 at used book sales or public libraries.
distorted
Hello,

I will be a junior next school year, going into the honors level precalculus courses available at my school. Both precalc functions and precalc trig are required to get into ap calc. There is only one honors level precalc teacher who is a very tough grader and is known for having extraordinarily poor teaching skills to boot. My thought was that by getting a precalc textbook I could learn the math over the summer before the course and hopefully remain unaffected by the teacher. I was wondering if there were any specific recomedations that you have for textbooks. I have included the material to be covered according to the course outlines.

Thanks in advance,
distorted

I apologise if this is in the wrong place, however, this appeared to be the most appropriate location.

Precalc functions includes: graphing transformations, polynomial, rational, exponential, and logarithmic functions, solving multiple variable systems, using matrices and determinants, sequences, series, mathematical induction, conics, and rotation of quadratic systems.

Precalc trig includes: the study of right and oblique triangles trig, analytic trig, vectors in planes and space including dot and cross products, polar and parametric equations and applications, 3d coordinate systems, and an introduction to limits and calculus.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
distorted,

What you are basically asking for is a good Precaclulus book or College Algebra With Trigonometry book. They are easy to find at used booksales of public libraries. Find one which was written between 1970 and 2000. The prices for each should be very low, maybe $2 maximum for each.

Hello distorted,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns about your upcoming precalculus course. It can be frustrating to have a tough teacher, but it's great that you're taking initiative and planning to study ahead of time. Textbooks can be a great resource for self-study, and there are a few recommendations I have for you.

For precalc functions, I would recommend "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart, Lothar Redlin, and Saleem Watson. It covers all the topics you listed and has a clear and organized approach to teaching. Another great option is "Precalculus" by Michael Sullivan. It also covers all the topics and has plenty of practice problems to reinforce your understanding.

For precalc trig, I would recommend "Trigonometry" by Cynthia Young. It covers all the topics listed and has a good balance of theory and applications. Another option is "Precalculus with Trigonometry: Concepts and Applications" by Paul A. Foerster. It has a strong focus on problem-solving and includes real-world applications of trigonometry.

I hope these recommendations help and that you find a textbook that works well for you. Best of luck in your precalculus course! Remember to also utilize other resources such as online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups to supplement your self-study.

1. How do I choose the right text books for self-study?

Choosing the right text books for self-study can be a daunting task. It is important to first identify your learning goals and the subject you want to study. Research different publishers and authors to find the most comprehensive and credible books on the subject. You can also ask for recommendations from peers or consult with a librarian.

2. Can I use any text book for self-study?

While any text book can be used for self-study, it is important to ensure that the book covers the material you need to learn and is appropriate for your skill level. Some books may be too advanced or too basic for your needs. It is also important to check the publication date and make sure the information is up-to-date.

3. How many text books should I use for self-study?

The number of text books you use for self-study will depend on your learning style and the complexity of the subject. Generally, it is recommended to use at least two text books to get a well-rounded understanding of the material. However, using too many text books can also be overwhelming, so choose wisely.

4. Are there any online resources for self-study instead of using text books?

Yes, there are many online resources available for self-study such as e-books, online courses, and educational websites. These can be a great supplement to traditional text books and often offer interactive learning experiences. However, it is important to verify the credibility of the source before using it for self-study.

5. How can I effectively use text books for self-study?

To effectively use text books for self-study, it is important to set a study schedule and stick to it. Take notes, highlight important information, and actively engage with the material by asking questions and testing yourself. It is also helpful to break down the material into smaller chunks and review regularly to ensure retention of knowledge.