Need help, soon please Integrating

• Thread starter sutupidmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the conversation is about a person needing help integrating a specific function. They have tried using the partial method and substitution but are unsure if their approach is correct. They mention using Maple or Mathematica to solve it, but the integral involves a Whittaker M function which they are not familiar with. They also mention their professor often gives difficult problems like this on exams. Suggestions are made to consider the limits and to try solving for specific values of n.
sutupidmath
Need help, soon please! Integrating

I am struggling to integrate this function since last night but,it seems like it is a dead end doing it.

how would you integrate this function

integral x^n e^(-x^(n-1)) dx
i tried the parcial method, and went like this
integ x^(n-2) x^2 e^(-x^(n-1))= then i did this u=x^2,du=2xdx

v=integ x^(n-2) e^(-x^(n-1)), then i took the substitution
-x^(n-1)=t
-(n-1)x^(n-2)dx=dt
x^(n-2)dx=-1/(n-1)dt, than i get

-1/(n-1)integ e^t dt=-1/(n-1) e^(-x^(n-1))

then using the formula uv-integ vdu, i get
-1/(n-1)x^2 e^(-x^(n-1))+ 2/(n-1) integ e^(-x^(n-1)) xdx,

so the problem is how to integrate now this
integ e^(-x^(n-1)) xdx, i could expand it using taylor formula, but i just have a feeling that it should be done using some other methods.!
I do not know if my approach is correct at first place, i might be missing something here.
Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
So no one is going to help me>>>?

Is this homework, or just a general problem that's troubling you? Maple gives the answer in terms of gamma functions, so I'd imagine that the integral is not that nice to compute!

Last edited:
Maple will give the answer in terms of gamma functions, that integral is pretty similar to the definition of the gamma function itself.

The integral can be computed by repeated integration by parts which is the same why the integral definition of the gamma function yields a generalized factorial function.

cristo said:
Is homework, or just a general problem that's troubling you? Maple gives the answer in terms of gamma functions, so I'd imagine that the integral is not that nice to compute!

NO it is not homework!
And sorry but i do not understand what mapple means, and what is gamma function??
Maybe i have heard or used gamma function before, but just i am not familiar with this term, so any more explanations on this??

Gib Z said:
The integral can be computed by repeated integration by parts which is the same why the integral definition of the gamma function yields a generalized factorial function.

ANd i do not think the repeated integration by parts works here, because look here

integ e^(-x^(n-1)) xdx

how would one go about integrating it by parts?

if we take here u=x, du=dx, and v=integ e^(-x^(n-1))dx , so how to find v??
And if we get u=e^(-x^(n-1)). and v=integ x dx, after we use the formula of integraton by parts we come to a form of the integral which is the integral which we beagan with at the very begining, which is positive, and we get nothing!

Ok.. It wasn't maple I used before, it was the online version of mathematica, called "the integrator." Maple returns a result including a Whittaker M function, which I have never seen before.

Is there any particular reason why you have to do this integral by hand?

Last edited:
cristo said:
Ok.. It wasn't maple I used before, it was the online version of mathematica, called "the integrator." Maple returns a result including a Whittaker M function, which I have never seen before.

Is there any particular reason why you have to do this integral by hand?
First of all i just like to know all the steps needed to come up to the result. Second, sometimes the proffesor puts it as one of five problems in the final exam, if it is not identical with this one, one of the five problems in most cases has been something like this. And the exam is paper based, so no calculators are allowed.

Hmm, well I'm afraid I can't help you. Are you sure the integral isn't something more like [tex]\int x^{n-1}e^{x^n}dx [/tex] ? I can't see the use of such an integral as one you give being put on an exam, but then I could be wrong.

cristo said:
Hmm, well I'm afraid I can't help you. Are you sure the integral isn't something more like [tex]\int x^{n-1}e^{x^n}dx [/tex] ? I can't see the use of such an integral as one you give being put on an exam, but then I could be wrong.
No it is exactly like i wrote it.
And our proffesors, always put a really hard problem in every exam, that's why no one could ever get more than 85 points out of 100, in the exam!

Thankyou cristo for your attempt to help me.

Any other ideas or suggestions on how to go about integrating this function by hand?

Are there no limits to this integration? One could consider the case of n=0,1,2 and solve it with standard integrals if the limits are 0 to infinite. I don't know about the general case though.

I guess it is an indefinite integral.

What is "Need help, soon please Integrating"?

"Need help, soon please Integrating" is a commonly used phrase in the scientific community that refers to the process of combining different elements or components in order to create a cohesive whole. It can also refer to the process of incorporating new information or ideas into existing knowledge or systems.

Why is it important to integrate information or ideas?

Integrating information or ideas allows scientists to build upon existing knowledge and make connections between different concepts. This can lead to new discoveries, innovations, and a deeper understanding of the world around us.

What are some common challenges when it comes to integrating?

Some common challenges when it comes to integrating include conflicting or incomplete information, difficulty in finding connections between seemingly unrelated concepts, and resistance to change or new ideas.

How can one improve their skills in integrating?

One can improve their skills in integrating by actively seeking out new information and perspectives, practicing critical thinking and problem-solving, and collaborating with others who have different areas of expertise.

Are there any ethical considerations when it comes to integrating?

Yes, there can be ethical considerations when it comes to integrating information or ideas. It is important to consider the potential impact on individuals, communities, and the environment, and to ensure that all parties involved are properly credited and acknowledged for their contributions.