Another simple question: Derivation of the formula for temp. conversion

In summary, the formula to convert Celsius into Fahrenheit is Tc = (5/9)*(Tf-32), where 1 celsius degree is 9/5 of a fahrenheit degree and the temperature at which water freezes on the fahrenheit scale is 32 degrees. The ratio of the increments minus the difference between starting points is what determines the conversion. A helpful resource for understanding this formula can be found at http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/58472.html.
sk381
Can some one point me to or explain in simple terms, the derivation of the formula to convert celcius into fahrenheit?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by derivation. It is just the ratio of the increments minus the difference between starting points.

re : Derivation of the formula for temp. conversion

I mean, how does one arrive at this:

Tc = (5/9)*(Tf-32)

or what do you mean by "It is just the ratio of the increments minus the difference between starting points."

I know it might be very trivial but I'm just having a hard time getting to it..

Thanks..

sk381 said:
I mean, how does one arrive at this:

Tc = (5/9)*(Tf-32)

or what do you mean by "It is just the ratio of the increments minus the difference between starting points."

I know it might be very trivial but I'm just having a hard time getting to it..

Thanks..

1 celsius degree is 9/5 of a fahrenheit degree. on the fahrenheit scale the temperature water freezes at is 32 , on the celsius scale the correspondent temperature is zero. that's it, and that's exactly what russ meant.

1. What is the formula for temperature conversion?

The formula for temperature conversion is as follows:
Fahrenheit to Celsius: (°F - 32) * 5/9
Celsius to Fahrenheit: (°C * 9/5) + 32

2. How do you derive the formula for temperature conversion?

The formula for temperature conversion is derived using the relationship between the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales. It is based on the freezing and boiling points of water on each scale, which are 32°F and 212°F for Fahrenheit and 0°C and 100°C for Celsius. By setting these two points as reference, the formula can be derived using simple algebraic equations.

3. Can the temperature conversion formula be used for all temperature scales?

No, the temperature conversion formula is specifically designed for converting between the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales. It cannot be used for other temperature scales such as Kelvin or Rankine.

4. What are the limitations of using the temperature conversion formula?

The temperature conversion formula is based on a linear relationship between the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales. This means that it is only accurate for converting temperatures within a certain range. Extreme temperatures, such as those in outer space or in the core of the Earth, may not be accurately converted using this formula.

5. Is there a more accurate way to convert temperatures?

Yes, there are other methods for converting temperatures that take into account non-linear relationships and other factors such as altitude and atmospheric pressure. These methods, such as the thermodynamic temperature scale, are more accurate but also more complex to use.