Solve Nanoparticle Algebra Homework: Find R

• Thread starter mbrmbrg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the equation for a line that best fits a data set of experimental data.
mbrmbrg

Homework Statement

[tex]N_{nano}=\left[1-\frac{3}{4}\left(\frac{r}{R}\right)+\frac{1}{16}\left(\frac{r}{R}\right)^3\right]N_{bulk}[/tex]

Solve for R.

Homework Equations

Algebra, come to bite me in the butt...

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{N_{nano}}{N_{bulk}}=1-\frac{3}{4}\left(\frac{r}{R}\right)+\frac{1}{16}\left(\frac{r}{R}\right)^3[/tex]

[tex]\frac{N_{nano}}{N_{bulk}}-1=-\frac{12}{16}\left(\frac{r}{R}\right)+\frac{1}{16}\left(\frac{r}{R}\right)^3[/tex]

[tex]16\left[\frac{N_{nano}}{N_{bulk}}-1\right]=\frac{r^3}{R^3}-12\left(\frac{r}{R}\right)[/tex]

And I'm stuck...
Properly, this isn't a homework question at all; I'm trying to analyze experimental data and I'd rather not call my prof with an algebra question :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
No longer *need* an answer. My professor told me to plot the data in excel and solve graphically. But I'd still like to know if it's possible to isolate R.

It's certainly possible. Find the common denominator for the fractional parts and make cubic polynomial in R, and find the 3 roots. One is guaranteed to be real, the other two may be complex conjugates or real (can't tell just by looking at it).

So...
[tex]16\left[\frac{N_{nano}}{N_{bulk}}-1\right]=\frac{r^3-12R^2}{R^3}[/tex]

[tex]16R^3\left[\frac{N_{nano}}{N_{bulk}}-1\right]=r^3-12R^2[/tex]

[tex]16R^3\left[\frac{N_{nano}}{N_{bulk}}-1\right]+12R^2-r^3=0[/tex]

But how to factor this beastie?

daveb said:
Here's a method for solving it. it isn't pretty, but it works.http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CubicFormula.html

:yuck: Thank you... Uhuhurgh. Maybe I'll give it a shot, though it does make me look a lot more kindly on my professor's approach of just graphing N versus R and seeing where our values of N lie on the curve.

Last edited:

1. What are nanoparticles and why are they important in algebra?

Nanoparticles are tiny particles that are measured in nanometers (one billionth of a meter). They are important in algebra because they provide a concrete example for students to understand abstract algebraic concepts such as variables, equations, and solving for unknowns.

2. How do you find the value of R in a nanoparticle algebra problem?

To find the value of R in a nanoparticle algebra problem, you will need to use the given information and set up an equation. Then, you can use algebraic techniques such as isolating the variable, combining like terms, and using inverse operations to solve for R.

3. What are some common equations used to solve nanoparticle algebra problems?

Some common equations used to solve nanoparticle algebra problems include the equation for density (D = m/V), the equation for concentration (C = n/V), and the equation for particle volume (V = 4/3πr^3).

4. Can you provide an example of a nanoparticle algebra problem and how to solve it?

Sure! Let's say a scientist needs to find the radius (R) of a nanoparticle with a density (D) of 2.5 g/cm^3 and a mass (m) of 6 grams. The equation for density is D = m/V. We can rearrange this to solve for V by dividing both sides by D, giving us V = m/D. Now we plug in the given values to get V = 6g/2.5g/cm^3. We can then convert the density to g/m^3 by multiplying by 1000, giving us V = 6g/2500g/m^3. Finally, using the equation for particle volume, V = 4/3πr^3, we can rearrange it to solve for r by dividing both sides by 4/3π, giving us r = (3V/4π)^(1/3). We can then plug in our calculated value for V to find the radius, R = (3(0.0024m^3)/4π)^(1/3) = 0.00793m.

5. Are there any tips for solving nanoparticle algebra problems more efficiently?

Yes, here are a few tips for solving nanoparticle algebra problems more efficiently: 1) Make sure to carefully read and understand the given information before setting up an equation. 2) Check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. 3) Use algebraic shortcuts such as factoring and canceling out common factors to simplify equations. 4) Practice, practice, practice to become more familiar with common equations and problem-solving strategies.