Are Organic and Natural Products Really Safer Than Chemicals?

In summary, the media often uses the terms organic, natural, and chemical to imply different things. Organic often implies that a product is "healthy" and/or "environmentally friendly," while natural implies that a product is not chemically processed. Chemical often implies negative implications for health and the environment, but these implications are not always justified. Some of the most dangerous substances on Earth are natural, organic substances, while some of the most toxic substances are artificial.
shen
we ofen hear the terms organic, natural and chemical in the media. Organic and natural are usually used to imply that a product is "healthy" and/or "environmentally friendly" while chemical often implies negative implications for health and for the environment. In your opinion are these implications justified? use examples to support ur answer

Physics news on Phys.org
the computer you are on is probably made from plastics
asprin, vinegar, salt, water, they are all chemicals
the "negative implications" come from the sterotyping of all chemicals, for example some people may think that all chemicals are as harmful as NaOH or H2SO4 or something to that effect, but in reality there are only a few chemicals that are that harmful, but be warned the chemicals that are harmful can KILL you and sometimes very easily and/or painfully, others can caused a delayed death, so you may think you are fine but you can go to sleep and not wake up, others can cause massive lung failure, and the select few can put you in a coma before the chemical even reaches your lungs (H2S). some on the other hand can be used for the greater good, Nitrous oxide is analagesic and a relaxent, hence the nick name "laughing gas". Water is a chemical. If you drive a vehicle you should appreciate the chemical H2SO4 (battery acid), altough this chemical can be harmful, it also has it's uses. NaOH is used as a drain cleaner and in alkaline batteries. You can react NaOH (sodium hydroxide) with HCl (hydrochloric acid, very caustic) and yeild salt and water two harmless compounds. Any chemical can kill you, water can drown you, oxygen (pure) can kill you. Basically i am saying "be careful and you may live past 90, be wreckless and you won't make it to 30."
Chemicals can be disposed of in an "enviromentally friendly" manner not just dumping them in a stream somewhere or on the ground.
Water isn't organic, chemistrywise. Organic simply means that it contains one or more carbon atoms in the compound, or at least that was what i was taught.

I am not sure what my true feelings on this subject are, but you try to figure it out.
Media isn't always right, just be sure you know what you believe then you don't go through life wondering what could have been.
Chemicals are dangerous in the hands of a novice, and that's what i think the media is reporting on not some trained professionals experementing with potentially dangerous chemicals.

These are my thoughts, please don't hold them against me.

Last edited:
The most toxic substances on Earth are ricin, tetrodotoxin, botulinum toxin and tetanus - all natural organic substances and capable of killing you with less than 0.001 gram.

Plutonium the scariest nasty nuclear artificial stuff is well down the list - below caffeine if you stage the experiment correctly. https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-156042.html

1. What is your overall opinion on organic chemistry?

As a scientist, my opinion on organic chemistry is that it is a fascinating and important field of study. It deals with the chemistry of carbon-containing compounds, which make up the building blocks of life. Organic chemistry has numerous applications in many industries, including pharmaceuticals, materials science, and agriculture, making it a crucial area of research.

2. Why is organic chemistry considered difficult or challenging?

Organic chemistry is often considered difficult due to the complex nature of carbon compounds and their reactions. The large number of possible reactions and mechanisms can be overwhelming, and the high level of abstraction and theory involved can be challenging to understand. However, with proper study and practice, organic chemistry can be mastered.

3. How does organic chemistry differ from other branches of chemistry?

Organic chemistry is unique in that it focuses on the study of carbon-containing compounds, whereas other branches of chemistry may focus on different elements or types of compounds. It also heavily emphasizes the study of chemical reactions and mechanisms, rather than just the properties of substances.

4. What are some real-world applications of organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry has numerous real-world applications, such as the development of new medicines, production of plastics and polymers, and synthesis of new materials. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and improving processes in the fields of food, agriculture, and energy production.

5. How can I improve my understanding of organic chemistry?

The best way to improve your understanding of organic chemistry is through practice and active learning. This can include reading and taking notes, solving practice problems, and participating in discussions or study groups. It is also important to have a strong foundation in general chemistry concepts and to seek help from professors or tutors when needed.