How Is Benzylamine Prepared from Benzamide Using LiAlH4?

• Thread starter Chirostudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Preparation
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of preparing benzylamine by reducing benzamide with LiAlH4. The use of LiAlH4 as a reducing agent is mentioned and the question is raised about how benzamide gets reduced. It is also mentioned that this reaction does not go to completion and that there is still a substantial amount of benzamide in the product. The need to explain the separation of pure benzylamine using a flow diagram is mentioned and help is requested. The conversation ends with a suggestion to search for related information on Wikipedia or chemistry websites.
Chirostudent
I need to answer a assignment question about how one can prepare benzylamine by reducing benzamide with LiAlH4. I read that LiAlH4 is a good reducing agent, and I understand that, but can someone explain how benzamide gets reduced?

And in the other half of the question, it says that this reaction does not go to completion, and that there is still a substantial amount of benzamide still in the product (but that it is mostly benzylamine). I need to explain with the aid of a flow diagram, how I would separate the pure benzylamine. Can anyone help me?

Please post it here, or send me a mail on: Kenneth_toerlen@hotmail.com ! Need it as soon as possible :)

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kenneth,

I am looking for the same thing (I am betting we are both in the same course). Not sure if we're supposed to do this though, I find the easiest way to trawl for related info in Wikipedia or chemistry websites, and piece it together.

Good luck.

I can explain the process of preparing benzylamine by reducing benzamide with LiAlH4. LiAlH4 is a strong reducing agent that is commonly used in organic synthesis to reduce carbonyl compounds, such as benzamide, to their corresponding alcohols.

When LiAlH4 is added to benzamide in a solvent, such as ether or tetrahydrofuran, it reacts with the carbonyl group of benzamide, breaking the carbon-oxygen double bond and replacing it with a carbon-hydrogen bond. This results in the formation of benzylamine, as well as a byproduct of lithium aluminum oxide.

However, this reaction does not go to completion, meaning that not all of the benzamide is converted to benzylamine. There is still a significant amount of benzamide present in the reaction mixture. To separate the pure benzylamine from the remaining benzamide, a purification process is necessary.

One method of purifying the benzylamine is by using a separation funnel. The reaction mixture is first transferred to the separation funnel and allowed to settle into two layers - an organic layer containing the benzylamine and a water layer containing the remaining benzamide. The organic layer is then carefully drained into a separate container, leaving behind the water layer.

The organic layer is then washed with a dilute acid solution, such as hydrochloric acid, to remove any traces of the byproduct and other impurities. The resulting solution is then dried using a drying agent, such as anhydrous sodium sulfate, to remove any remaining water.

The purified benzylamine can then be isolated by evaporating the solvent, leaving behind solid benzylamine. This solid can be further purified by recrystallization, in which the solid is dissolved in a hot solvent and then allowed to slowly cool, causing pure benzylamine crystals to form.

In summary, the reduction of benzamide with LiAlH4 results in the formation of benzylamine, but the reaction does not go to completion. To obtain pure benzylamine, a separation and purification process is necessary, such as using a separation funnel and performing recrystallization.

1. What is the purpose of preparing benzylamine?

Benzylamine is commonly used as a building block in the synthesis of various organic compounds, such as pharmaceuticals, dyes, and resins. It is also used in the production of rubber chemicals and as a corrosion inhibitor. Therefore, the preparation of benzylamine is important for the production of these various products.

2. What is the chemical structure of benzylamine?

Benzylamine has a chemical formula of C6H5CH2NH2 and a linear molecular structure. It consists of a benzene ring with an attached amino group (NH2) at the first carbon atom in the chain.

3. How is benzylamine prepared in the laboratory?

Benzylamine can be prepared in the laboratory through the reductive amination of benzaldehyde with ammonia. This reaction involves using a reducing agent, such as sodium borohydride, to convert the aldehyde group in benzaldehyde into an amine group, resulting in the formation of benzylamine.

4. What are the safety precautions when working with benzylamine?

Benzylamine is a corrosive and toxic chemical, so proper safety precautions should be followed when working with it. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, and working in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to handle benzylamine with caution and avoid contact with skin and eyes.

5. Can benzylamine be prepared using alternative methods?

Yes, there are alternative methods for preparing benzylamine, such as the Hofmann rearrangement of benzyltrimethylammonium hydroxide and the reduction of benzyl cyanide. However, the reductive amination method is the most commonly used and efficient method for synthesizing benzylamine in the laboratory.