What is the acceleration due to gravity on this asteroid?

In summary, the astronaut's pack weighs 15.3 N on Earth and 3.05 N on the surface of an asteroid. By using the equation F=ma, it can be determined that the acceleration due to gravity on the asteroid is approximately 1.95 m/s^2 and the mass of the pack on the asteroid is 3.05 kg.
azila

Homework Statement

An astronaut's pack weighs 15.3 N when she is on Earth but only 3.05 N when she is at the surface of an asteroid.

a. What is the acceleration due to gravity on this asteroid?

B. what is the mass of the pack on the asteroid?

Homework Equations

ok, I know I have to you F=ma; but I am stuck after that. I know my mass which is 3.05 N but what is my force?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried, but i have two unknowns, I do not what the force is or what the acceleration which is what I am trying to calculate. I know I am missing something or I am overlooking something. Please help if you can. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I know my mass which is 3.05 N but what is my force?

You have it mixed up. Force is measured in Newtons, while mass is measured in Kilograms.

You are right in saying that you have to use F = ma. What is the value of 'a' on the surface of the (perfectly spherical) Earth?

Well you could do it like this: [tex]\frac{15.3}{3.05} = \frac{9.8}{x}[/tex] I just rounded everything off and found that [tex]x = 1.95[/tex]

Last edited:
thank you so much. Yeah, I was mixed up about the mass and force units. So thanks.

1. What is the acceleration due to gravity on this asteroid?

The acceleration due to gravity on an asteroid depends on its mass and radius. It can range from a few centimeters per second squared to a few meters per second squared.

2. How is the acceleration due to gravity measured on an asteroid?

The acceleration due to gravity on an asteroid can be measured using instruments such as accelerometers, which measure the acceleration of an object towards the asteroid's surface.

3. Does the acceleration due to gravity vary across different regions of an asteroid?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity can vary across different regions of an asteroid due to variations in its mass and shape.

4. How does the acceleration due to gravity on an asteroid compare to that on Earth?

The acceleration due to gravity on an asteroid is typically much lower than that on Earth, as asteroids are much smaller and have less mass than Earth.

5. Can the acceleration due to gravity on an asteroid change over time?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity on an asteroid can change over time due to external forces such as collisions with other objects or changes in the asteroid's composition.