Height of a 91 lbs. gold cube.

In summary, the conversation involves determining the height of a 91 lbs. gold cube using the equation P= F/A and converting the weight to kg. The person is asking for guidance and is advised to look up the density of gold and use the volume of the cube, not the surface area.
chrisjj

Homework Statement

Determine the height of a 91 lbs. gold cube.

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure which equations are relevant here... this is an Honors Physics problem for my girlfriend, but she asked me to attempt and I'm in Physics.
Anyways, I thought of and only found a few I could think to be relevant:
P= F/A
And that's all I could really find, or have any knowledge of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first converted the 91 lbs. to kg, making 41.4 kg.
My thought process on this was that if I could determine the surface area through P= F/A then I could figure out a length of the cube. It being a cube that'd also decide the h height of the cube, thus giving me my answer.
However, I am stuck.
Lacking any previous physics knowledge, as my physics class just started last week, I'm not entirely sure on where to take this next.
I'm asking for a little direction, please.

Thanks for your time,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the density of gold.

Do as learningphysics suggested,

then use volume (of cube) and not surface area. One need not consider pressure.

See www.webelements.com

chrisjj said:
I first converted the 91 lbs. to kg, making 41.4 kg.
Incidentally, that isn't a conversion: pounds measure force and kilograms measure mass.

1. What is the height of a 91 lbs. gold cube?

The height of a 91 lbs. gold cube can vary depending on the dimensions of the cube. However, assuming the cube has equal dimensions, the height would be approximately 4.4 inches (11.2 cm).

2. How is the height of a gold cube measured?

The height of a gold cube is typically measured by using a ruler or measuring tape to determine the distance from the base of the cube to its highest point.

3. Can the height of a gold cube change?

Yes, the height of a gold cube can change if it is melted or reshaped. However, if the cube maintains its original dimensions, the height will remain the same.

4. How does the weight of a gold cube affect its height?

The weight of a gold cube does not directly affect its height. However, the density of gold (19.32 g/cm3) means that a gold cube will be relatively small in size compared to other objects with the same weight.

5. Why is the height of a gold cube important?

The height of a gold cube is important for determining its volume and density, which are important factors in understanding the physical properties of the gold. It can also be used in calculations for determining the value of gold based on weight and volume.