C Language Encryption Tutorial: Beginner Guide

• Thread starter kthouz
  • Start date
In summary, programming can be learnt in any language, including C, but it takes time and practice. Encryption is a complex subject that can be done in any language, but there are libraries and resources available to make it easier. Self-learning is possible, but following a university course may provide a more comprehensive understanding. Applied Cryptography by Bruce Schneier is a recommended resource for learning about cryptography.
kthouz
Hello!
i am getting started with the C language. I've not yet learned about much things but am so interested with programming and am wpndering if it is possible to encrypt using c language?

Technology news on Phys.org
encryption is not really built into any language that I know of, you can't do like var.encrypt. encryption has to do with the programmer, so if you get good enough sure you can encrypt,just as you can with any language

kthouz said:
Hello!
i am getting started with the C language. I've not yet learned about much things but am so interested with programming and am wpndering if it is possible to encrypt using c language?

Learning to program takes time, and when you've properly learnt, you can program in any language: C, C++, Java, Python, Haskell, Oz, Prolog, Mercury, people in a business organisation, stones in a long row, raw assembler, etc. It's all the same. But it does take quite a few years of practise and meditation to get there -- like all skills, it's worth learning because it's non-trivial.

Encryption is also a deep subject, and there's no such thing as just "encrypting" something: there are variations, suitable for different purposes, etc. As already noted, encryption can be done in any language: people used to encrypt things with a long piece of paper helically wound about a pencil...

If you're serious about computing and programming, try to follow a university course instead -- most universities tend to put their course notes online. Like all things, self-learning is all well and good, but it's easy to get stuck on trivial things and miss out whole chunks of important stuff.

Good luck.

Thanks for your support.
So if you know any website where i can get notes would you let me know?
actualy am student in Physics so you see am not well placed but coz i like programming i think that i can figure it out during my free time with some good supports like you did.

Your university should have some computer science courses -- can you get their notes?

las3rjock said:
You will want to obtain a copy of Applied Cryptography by Bruce Schneier.

Seconded. This is really all you need to get started with cryptography, with any language. The examples provided are in C, though, so it'll be even more useful to you.

- Warren

B-80 said:
encryption is not really built into any language that I know of, you can't do like var.encrypt. encryption has to do with the programmer, so if you get good enough sure you can encrypt,just as you can with any language

But there are encryption libraries. C# (and any .NET language) for example has system.net.cryptography (or something like that) with implementations of popular algorithms such as SHA1 and Rijndaels, which are very easy to use. There are also some static classes in the framework that make it as simple as StaticClass.Encrypt(<algorithm>, text).

1. What is C language encryption?

C language encryption is the process of converting plain text into a coded format to make it unreadable to unauthorized users. It is commonly used to protect sensitive information and maintain data confidentiality.

2. Why should I learn C language encryption?

Learning C language encryption can help you understand the fundamental concepts of encryption, which is essential in the field of computer science and cybersecurity. It can also help you develop secure software and protect your personal information.

3. How does C language encryption work?

C language encryption uses algorithms to transform plain text into a non-readable format. These algorithms use keys or passwords to encrypt and decrypt data, making it unreadable to anyone without the correct key.

4. What are the common encryption algorithms used in C language?

Some common encryption algorithms used in C language include Caesar cipher, Vigenère cipher, and RSA algorithm. Each algorithm has its own unique way of encrypting and decrypting data.

5. Can I use C language encryption in my own projects?

Yes, you can use C language encryption in your own projects. There are many libraries and resources available that provide encryption functions in C language. However, it is essential to understand the basics of encryption before implementing it in your projects.