Orifice plate diameter sizing

In summary, to achieve the desired temperature, an orifice must be sized according to the component's operating pressure and the orifice's maximum flow rate.
robsmith82
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to calculate the diameter of an orifice for a pill loop in an oil heater and pump. The hot oil is used to heat fuel in a heat exchanger, and is driven by a positive displacement pump. There is a spill loop with an orifice plate, and the requirement is that the orifice must spill a specific flow when the oil is at 200C and 25psig. the pipework either side of the orifice plate is 2", and the kinematic viscosity of the oil at 200C is 1.2 cSt. I think this is all the info that is needed? How do I calculate what orifice size will give me what flow?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Since you're dealing with, what can be considered, an incompressible fluid and the orifice is to meter the flow, you can simply use Bernoulli across the restriction. Here is a pretty good derivation of the basic orifice calculation:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orifice_plate

Note that since this is a pretty viscous fluid and not a gas, you don't need to worry about the expansion coefficient. If you need some decent accuracy, you should utilize literature to establish a discharge coefficient to handle minor losses that do not get handled in the derivation above.

Here's and example spreadsheet I threw together to help you figure it out. Of course, the catch 22 is that you must know (or reasonably estimate based on your experience with orifices) what the differential pressure is. Just plug the values in blue into worksheet and it will give you the flow rate out of the orifice.

Apparently I can't attached spreadsheets in this forum! Sorry! Here is a jpeg instead!

Attachments

• Orifice Flow1.jpg
    Orifice Flow1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 3,375
Yeah there's a lot of programs out there to do it, but for something this small hand calcs generally work fine.

I have a similar scenario, where I am trying to calculate the orifice diameter... On using a couple of different softwares (Flow Cacl 32 and Instrucalc)... I'm getting two different results however I get the same error that my Reynolds number is too low...

Sizing for a liquid w/ SG=1.081, Operating Temp 93.30C, Operating Pressure 10203 kPag, Max. Flow = 2m3/hr and Normal Flow = 1.6m3/hr. Viscosity is 11.20 cP and the Dry Diff. Range = 0-250mbar. All of this is flowing through a 2" Sch 160 Pipe.

Any thoughts folks?

DecentMenace said:
I have a similar scenario, where I am trying to calculate the orifice diameter... On using a couple of different softwares (Flow Cacl 32 and Instrucalc)... I'm getting two different results however I get the same error that my Reynolds number is too low...

Sizing for a liquid w/ SG=1.081, Operating Temp 93.30C, Operating Pressure 10203 kPag, Max. Flow = 2m3/hr and Normal Flow = 1.6m3/hr. Viscosity is 11.20 cP and the Dry Diff. Range = 0-250mbar. All of this is flowing through a 2" Sch 160 Pipe.

Any thoughts folks?

The high pressure of 10.2 MPa combined with the low flow rate of 2m3/hr might create to small a pressure difference across the orifice to solve. Try increasing the flow rate and see if it solves and make a conclusion based upon that result and what you are asking to solve in the first case.

The ASME spec (MFC-14M-2001) that covers orifice flow in small bores dictates a minimum Re>1000. A rough calc shows that your Re~4150 at your max flow. The low limit may be a limit in that particular program for its calcs. Your flow rates are very low though, so it doesn't surprise me. I would look at other methods of measurement like a hot wire anemometer or possibly a Coriolis flow meter.

I need help, hope somebody can give me a hint

Determine the appropiate orifice sizes for uniform exit temperatures of 140F from the four units in 70F ambient/ sea level pressure? Components (50W, 500W, 1000W and 300W)

Thank you

I need help, hope you can give me a hint

Determine the appropiate orifice sizes for uniform exit temperatures of 140F from the four units in 70F ambient/ sea level pressure? Components (50W, 500W, 1000W and 300W)

Thank you

1. What is an orifice plate diameter?

An orifice plate diameter is the size of the circular opening in an orifice plate, which is a device used to measure fluid flow in pipes. It is typically measured in inches or millimeters.

2. How is the orifice plate diameter determined?

The orifice plate diameter is determined by the size of the pipe it is being installed in and the desired flow rate to be measured. It is typically calculated using equations based on the Bernoulli's equation and the fluid properties.

3. Why is the orifice plate diameter important in flow measurement?

The orifice plate diameter is important because it affects the accuracy and range of flow measurement. If the diameter is too small, it can cause high pressure drop and inaccurate readings. If it is too large, it can result in low pressure drop and limited flow range.

4. What factors can affect the orifice plate diameter sizing?

The main factors that can affect orifice plate diameter sizing are the fluid properties (such as density, viscosity, and temperature), pipe size, and desired flow rate. Other factors such as pipe material, installation conditions, and environmental conditions may also play a role.

5. Can the orifice plate diameter be changed after installation?

Yes, the orifice plate diameter can be changed after installation, but it requires replacing the entire orifice plate. Altering the orifice plate diameter can affect the accuracy of flow measurement and may require recalibrating the system.