Help would be greatly appreciated

• Thread starter oxblackout12
  • Start date
In summary, a hunter is aiming directly at a target 150 m away and the bullet leaves the gun at a speed of 290 m/s. The bullet is deflected downward by the force of gravity, so the time it takes to reach the target and the vertical distance traveled must be calculated. Using these values, the angle of the gun can be determined using trigonometry.
oxblackout12
1. A hunter aims directly at a target (on the same level) 150 m away.

2. (a) If the bullet leaves the gun at a speed of 290 m/s, by how much will it miss the target?

(b) At what angle should the gun be aimed so as to hit the target?

please help i am completely lost on this

Physics news on Phys.org
oxblackout12 said:
1. A hunter aims directly at a target (on the same level) 150 m away.

2. (a) If the bullet leaves the gun at a speed of 290 m/s, by how much will it miss the target?

(b) At what angle should the gun be aimed so as to hit the target?

please help i am completely lost on this

You should take into account that the bullet is deflected downward by the force of gravity. Calculate the time it takes the bullet to reach the target and the vertical distance traveled by the bullet during this time in free fall.

Eugene.

(assuming no air resistance)

t = (d / v) for horizontal displacement. The bullet is not accelerating through the horizontal motion, only the vertical motion, so don't worry about a change in speed.

With time, you can find how much gravity would cause it to drop.

Hi, sorry to gravedig, but I have a question on the second part of this problem. I figured out that the displacement is 1.31 m, but how do I go about finding the angle of the gun? I know you use sins, etc., but I can't figure out how you do that to incorperate 1.31 m without changing the velocity, and thus changing the dynamics of the question.

Hi Anony-mouse,

Anony-mouse said:
Hi, sorry to gravedig, but I have a question on the second part of this problem. I figured out that the displacement is 1.31 m, but how do I go about finding the angle of the gun? I know you use sins, etc., but I can't figure out how you do that to incorperate 1.31 m without changing the velocity, and thus changing the dynamics of the question.

I don't think you incorporate the 1.31 m in the second part. You set up the problem again, and you know the horizontal displacement is 150 m and the vertical displacement is zero for the bullet's flight. You can get two equations in two unknowns (angle and time) and solve for both.

1. What does "help would be greatly appreciated" mean?

The phrase "help would be greatly appreciated" is a polite way of asking for assistance or support. It implies that the person asking for help is in need and would be grateful for any help that is offered.

2. Is it appropriate to use "help would be greatly appreciated" in a professional setting?

Yes, using this phrase in a professional setting is acceptable as it conveys a sense of respect and gratitude towards those who may be able to offer assistance.

3. How can I use "help would be greatly appreciated" in a more specific way?

In order to make your request for help more specific, you can add details about the type of help you need or the specific task or project you need help with. This will help others understand exactly how they can assist you.

4. Can I use "help would be greatly appreciated" in a casual or personal setting?

Yes, this phrase can also be used in a casual or personal setting, such as asking for help from friends or family. It still conveys politeness and gratitude in these situations as well.

5. Is there a better way to ask for help than saying "help would be greatly appreciated"?

While "help would be greatly appreciated" is a polite and effective way to ask for help, there are other phrases you can use to make a request for assistance, such as "I could really use some help with..." or "Would you be able to help me with...?" Choose the phrase that best fits the situation and your personal style.