Current Carrying Wires-No force b/t them?

In summary, the conversation discusses Faraday's law and its prediction of attractive and repulsive forces between two current-carrying wires placed parallel or anti-parallel to each other. The speaker shares their experiment of testing this phenomenon while vacuuming and finding no result. They then consider the possibility of the rubber coating around the wire affecting the magnetic field. A commenter points out that the net current through the wire is zero due to the cancellation of currents going in and out of the load. The speaker asks for further explanation and clarification on the experiment. They also question the safety of cutting up a power cord for this experiment and ask about the measurement of the force, which is said to be miniscule.
brianparks
Current Carrying Wires--No force b/t them?

Faraday's law predicts that two current-carrying wires, when placed parallel to each other, will exert an attractive force on each other. Conversely, two wires that are placed anti-parallel to each other will exert a repulsive force on each other.

While I was vacuuming my apartment today, I decided to test this phenomenon. I folded the wire into two parts such that one part of the wire was touching the other, with its current flowing in the opposite direction. The result? Nothing. According to Faraday's law, however, the wires should have exerted an attractive force on each other.

I then folded the wires such that one part was touching the other, with its current flowing in the same direction. The result? Again, nothing. But according to Faraday's law, the wires should have exerted a repulsive force on each other.

How can I make sense of this result?

Of course, the electrical input is AC 60hz, not DC. But this shouldn't matter. If the wires are parallel to each other, then on the positive half cycle, both currents will be in the same direction, and the wires will exert a repulsive force on each other. Likewise when the input is on its negative half cycle. The frequency of the input would not seem to make any difference.

Maybe the rubber coating around the wire stifles the magnetic field created by the current flow? I've never read anything that would suggest this.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
brianparks,

Hint: Suppose your vacuum's drawing 5 amps, what's the net current through the wire? Actually, it's a cord (that's another hint!).

Last edited:
Doh! One cord, two wires inside, one with current going into the load, the other with current coming out. So they cancel. It never occurred to me that the answer was so simple--and that the question was so stupid!

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up :biggrin:

Last edited:
brianparks said:
It never occurred to me that the answer was so simple--and that the question was so stupid!
Whoa, now, wait a second. Can you explain further. I didn't understand your experiment.

What does your experiment have to do with vacuuming the apartment?

What wires are you talking about (the ones in the power cord)? Did you cut up the power cord to access the wires (not all that safe :rolleyes: )? Did you just consider the power cord as a wire?

How did you measure the force? (This is my most curious question. If you've ever done this experiment in a controlled lab environment, or even just calculate it, you'll know that the force is absolutely miniscule at a separation on the order of millimeters at a current on the order of amps. I.e. separation of 1 mm between two lengths of wire a foot long carrying 10 A gives you a magnetic force about equal to the weight of a single pea).

Last edited:

1. What is the concept behind current carrying wires having no force between them?

The concept behind current carrying wires having no force between them is known as Ampere's Law. According to this law, the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire is circular in shape and the magnetic field lines are parallel to each other, resulting in no net force between the wires.

2. How does the distance between current carrying wires affect the force between them?

The distance between current carrying wires has a direct effect on the force between them. As the distance increases, the force between the wires decreases and vice versa. This is because the magnetic field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a weaker force between the wires.

3. Can current carrying wires attract or repel each other?

No, current carrying wires do not attract or repel each other. Since the magnetic field lines of the wires are parallel, the forces acting on them cancel each other out, resulting in no net force. Therefore, current carrying wires only experience a force when they are not parallel to each other.

4. What happens to the force between current carrying wires if the current in one wire is increased?

If the current in one wire is increased, the force between the wires will also increase. This is because an increase in current leads to a stronger magnetic field, which results in a stronger force between the wires. Therefore, the force between the wires is directly proportional to the current in one wire.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to current carrying wires having no force between them?

No, there are no safety concerns related to current carrying wires having no force between them. Since there is no net force between the wires, they do not exert any pressure on each other and are therefore considered safe. However, it is important to ensure proper insulation and handling of current carrying wires to prevent any potential hazards.