Shear force bending moments diagram help?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to draw the shear force and bending moment diagrams for a beam with a moment included. The maximum shear force is also mentioned, but not discussed in the book. A helpful resource is provided for further understanding of the topic.
scotthands

Homework Statement

It's number 4 I'm doing

f_statics004m_701e460.jpg

Homework Equations

ΣmomentA= 0
ΣFx= 0
ΣFy= 0

The Attempt at a Solution

f_statics005m_d90b2f1.jpg

i've got the correct answers i think, but I'm not sure how to draw the shear force and bending moment diagrams because of the moment that's included. i did draw them but it didn't seem correct because the bending moment diagram never went back to 0.

Also What is the maximum shear force and how do i work it out it doesn't say anything about it in my book?

Physics news on Phys.org
The moment will only appear on the Bending Moment diagram, and just like a concentrated force produces a discontinuity in the shear force diagram, the moment will do the same for the bending moment diagram.

What is a shear force bending moments diagram?

A shear force bending moments diagram is a graphical representation of the internal forces and moments acting on a beam or structural element. It shows the variation of shear force and bending moment along the length of the beam and is used to analyze the structural behavior and determine the maximum bending moments and shear forces.

Why is a shear force bending moments diagram important?

A shear force bending moments diagram is important because it helps engineers and designers understand the structural behavior of a beam or structural element. It also allows them to determine the maximum bending moments and shear forces, which are critical in designing safe and efficient structures.

How is a shear force bending moments diagram calculated?

A shear force bending moments diagram is calculated by using the equations of equilibrium and the principles of mechanics. The external loads and support reactions are first determined, and then the shear force and bending moment are calculated at different points along the beam using the method of sections or the moment-area method.

What are the key features of a shear force bending moments diagram?

The key features of a shear force bending moments diagram include the shape of the curves, the location and magnitude of maximum shear force and bending moment, and the points where the shear force and bending moment are zero. These features provide important information about the structural behavior and help in designing the appropriate structural members.

How do you interpret a shear force bending moments diagram?

To interpret a shear force bending moments diagram, you need to understand the conventions used in drawing the diagram. The shear force and bending moment are usually represented by positive and negative values, and the direction of the curves indicates the direction of the forces. The points of maximum and minimum values also provide important information about the critical sections of the beam.