Why Should Load Reactance Match Generator Reactance for Maximum Power Transfer?

In summary, for maximum power transfer between the generator and the load, the reactance of the load (X_{l}) should be equal to the reactance of the generator (X_{g}). This is because the maximum power transmission occurs when the imaginary part of the total impedance of the system vanishes. This can be proven using a two variable maximum/minimum problem from multivariable calculus. The power delivered to the load is given by P=|I^2| R_l, where I is the current.
tnho

Homework Statement

An alternating current electrical generator has a fixed internal impedance [tex]R_{g}+iX_{g}[/tex] and is used to supply power to a passive load that has an impedance [tex]R_{g} +iX_{l}[/tex], where [tex]i = \sqrt{-1}[/tex], [tex]R_{g}\neq 0[/tex], and [tex]X_{g} \neq 0 [/tex]. For maximum power transfer between the generator and the load, [tex]X_{l}[/tex] should be equal to...

The answer is [tex]X_{l}=X_{g}[/tex].

However, I don't know how come up with this answer. It seems that the maximum power transmission occur with the imaginary part of the total impedance of the system vanishes. But Why??

Thanks a lot=)

Physics news on Phys.org
tnho said:

Homework Statement

An alternating current electrical generator has a fixed internal impedance [tex]R_{g}+iX_{g}[/tex] and is used to supply power to a passive load that has an impedance [tex]R_{g} +iX_{l}[/tex], where [tex]i = \sqrt{-1}[/tex], [tex]R_{g}\neq 0[/tex], and [tex]X_{g} \neq 0 [/tex]. For maximum power transfer between the generator and the load, [tex]X_{l}[/tex] should be equal to...

The answer is [tex]X_{l}=X_{g}[/tex].

However, I don't know how come up with this answer. It seems that the maximum power transmission occur with the imaginary part of the total impedance of the system vanishes.

From your last sentence above, it seems that you forgot a negative sign in the equation above.

But Why??

It's a two variable max/min problem from mutivariable calculus.

The power delivered to the load is [itex]P=|I^2| R_l[/itex]. What is I?

1. What is an AC electrical generator?

An AC electrical generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It works by using a magnetic field and rotating conductors to induce an alternating current (AC) in a wire loop.

2. How does an AC electrical generator work?

An AC electrical generator works by rotating a coil of wire within a magnetic field. This rotation creates a changing magnetic flux, which in turn induces an alternating current in the wire. The current can then be used to power electrical devices.

3. What are the main components of an AC electrical generator?

The main components of an AC electrical generator include a rotor (rotating part), a stator (stationary part), a magnetic field, and a conductor. The rotor and stator are typically made up of iron and copper, respectively.

4. What are the differences between AC and DC generators?

The main difference between AC and DC generators is the type of current they produce. AC generators produce alternating current, which changes direction periodically, while DC generators produce direct current, which flows in one direction. AC generators also use slip rings and brushes to transfer the current, while DC generators use a commutator.

5. What are the common uses of AC electrical generators?

AC electrical generators are commonly used to generate power in power plants, as well as in smaller applications such as portable generators and electric cars. They are also used in wind turbines and hydroelectric dams to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.