Paper discussing the mathematics of relativity

In summary, a student is looking for a paper that discusses the mathematics behind special/general theories of relativity and is seeking help finding original papers published by H.A. Lorentz, H. Minkowski, and A. Einstein. They are also interested in understanding the historical context of how these theories were formulated. They believe it is important to comprehend the process of formulating the conclusions of the theory in addition to the theory itself.
lvlastermind
Hello

I am looking for a paper that discusses the mathematics behind the special/general theories of relativity. The majority of the papers I have come across so far discuss the principals of relativity and do not support it with mathematical conclusions. One of the papers I am looking for is by H.A. Lorentz, H. Minkowski, and A. Einstein. I think the paper was published under the title Das Relativitdtsprinsip (The Principal of Relativity). Also, if someone could point me toward a link to the original papers that Einstein published c1900 that would be much appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Question for lvlastermind

lvlastermind said:
The majority of the papers I have come across so far discuss the principals of relativity and do not support it with mathematical conclusions.

Are you a student of history of physics? If not, why would you ignore the tremendous amount of progress which has been made in understanding relatvistic physics since the book you asked about was first published? The book you asked about is a collection of original papers, none later than 1918, so it is 90 years out of date if you want to learn about relativistic mathematical physics.

The paper I am writing is for a history of science class but i am also interested in progress that has been made. Furthermore, I am more interested in the math that accompanies this progress then I am the hypothesis and paradoxes that have resulted. I am not ignoring the progress that has been made. I am simply creating a base for my understanding to further interpret the theory. I believe it is just as important to comprehend how the conclusions of the theory were formulated then the theory itself.

Thanks for the link robphy

OK, I get it.

lvlastermind said:
The paper I am writing is for a history of science class

Now I understand your interest in the original papers! :wink:

lvlastermind said:
I am simply creating a base for my understanding to further interpret the theory.

Great! Well, I'm sure PF posters will be happy to recommend more books which might bring you up to date (in fact, try the books I recommended to Yiannis in another current thread).

lvlastermind said:
I believe it is just as important to comprehend how the conclusions of the theory were formulated then the theory itself.

Agreed, although those who don't have a good reason for studying the original papers (as you do) will IMO find it more efficient to study modern textbooks first to master how these theories are currently formulated, interpreted, and used, and later look back at the original papers for more historical perspective. One reason for this is that in order to fully understand the context of the original papers, you need to study all kinds of now archaic concepts and even contemporary world history, stuff which is a distraction for those who just want to understand relativistic physics. IOW, in my experience a kind of "cleaned up" and "simplified" faux-history is preferrable for most students to trying to understand the actual twists and turns as they occurred in a complex intellectual, social, and political context. In many ways, 1905-1915 was a very different era than our own.

Last edited:

1. What is the mathematics behind relativity?

The mathematics of relativity was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It includes the use of tensor calculus, differential geometry, and special and general relativity equations to describe the relationship between space, time, and gravity.

2. How does the mathematics of relativity differ from traditional physics equations?

The mathematics of relativity differs from traditional physics equations in that it takes into account the concept of spacetime, where space and time are considered together as a unified entity. This allows for a more accurate description of the effects of gravity on objects in motion.

3. What are some practical applications of the mathematics of relativity?

The mathematics of relativity has many practical applications, including GPS technology, which uses the equations of special relativity to account for the time dilation effects of satellites in orbit. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and has been used to predict and confirm phenomena such as black holes and gravitational waves.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand the mathematics of relativity?

While a strong mathematical background can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand the basics of the mathematics of relativity. The principles of special and general relativity can be understood with some basic knowledge of algebra and geometry. However, a deeper understanding of the equations and concepts may require more advanced mathematical knowledge.

5. How has the mathematics of relativity changed our understanding of the universe?

The mathematics of relativity has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a more accurate description of gravity and its effects on the behavior of objects in space. It has also led to new discoveries and theories, such as the expanding universe and the concept of spacetime, that have greatly advanced our understanding of the cosmos.