Orbital Energy of a binary star system

In summary, the energy of the system is nearly all potential energy, which is due to the eccentricity of the orbits.
Aquafina20

Homework Statement

Say you have a binary star sytem. Both stars have mass M and semimajor axis a. The orbits are extremely eccentric (e is approximately 1). How would you describe the energy of the system?

Homework Equations

SEE BELOW

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I'm very unconfident about my answer and feel like I'm blanking on basic physics. I imagined the stars both at apocenter at some initial time. With such an eccentric orbit the velocities would be nearly zero here, so the total energy of each stars orbit would be quite nearly all potential energy.

-Gmm/r where r is distance to the barycenter or 2a so the potential energy of each star is -(Gm^2)/2a. So the sum of the PE's would be 2 times this amount and therefore the total energy of the orbit is -(Gm^2)/a

Is this valid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially zero velocity at apastron would be a very special case.

This might be of use - http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/astro101/java/binary/binary.htm

http://www.astro.cornell.edu/academics/courses/astro201/bin_orbits.htm
http://filer.case.edu/sjr16/advanced/stars_binvar.html

See this page - http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/binaries/visual.html - which also has an applet.

Should the two stars have the same initial angular momentum?

I was trying to think of a way to generalize circular binary orbits - e.g.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/orbv.html#bo

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Essentially zero velocity at apastron would be a very special case.

This is understandable, but would it not be possible to have orbits so eccentric that apocenter velocity would be negligable in contribution to energy? Do not be concerned with practicality or realism. I imagine this being an approximate model for a collision scenerio with both objects starting at rest where the exaggerated eccentricity allows us to throw the objects as nearly directly towards one another as an orbit can allow.

If the kinetic energy was negligible, then at apastron, the total energy (neglecting the rotational energies of the stars) would simply be the gravitational potential energy at that distance/separation.

The java applets show that e=1 is extremely eccentric with little overlap of the orbits.

But I was wondering about a more general case. I think one is assuming not only the same mass, but same eccentricity and angular momentum, i.e. the same (or symmetric) orbital parameters for both stars.

Astronuc said:
If the kinetic energy was negligible, then at apastron, the total energy (neglecting the rotational energies of the stars) would simply be the gravitational potential energy at that distance/separation.

Would -GM^2/2a be an acceptable description of total energy or am i misinterpreting center of mass? Could you not say the two masses are m/2 and 2m and turn it into a one body with one oject stationary at the barycenter and the other following the same orbit in the two body?

But I was wondering about a more general case. I think one is assuming not only the same mass, but same eccentricity and angular momentum, i.e. the same (or symmetric) orbital parameters for both stars.

Well, wouldn't that be implicit in having a two body problem where m1=m2=m?

Well, wouldn't that be implicit in having a two body problem where m1=m2=m?
No - why would it? In addition to m1 = m2, one would need m1v1r1 = m2v2r2, no? And the two mass would have to be in phase in their orbits.

Orbital mechanics in not my specialty, and it's been a long time since I've sat down and worked through such material.

1. What is the definition of orbital energy in a binary star system?

Orbital energy in a binary star system is the sum of the kinetic energy and potential energy of the two stars as they orbit around their common center of mass.

2. How is the orbital energy of a binary star system calculated?

The orbital energy of a binary star system can be calculated using the formula E = -Gm1m2/2r, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two stars, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the orbital energy of a binary star system?

The orbital energy of a binary star system is affected by the masses of the two stars, the distance between them, and the eccentricity of their orbit.

4. How does the orbital energy of a binary star system change over time?

The orbital energy of a binary star system can change over time due to interactions with other objects or external forces, such as gravitational perturbations from nearby stars or the presence of a third star in the system.

5. What is the significance of the orbital energy of a binary star system?

The orbital energy of a binary star system is important for understanding the stability and evolution of the system. It also plays a role in determining the type of orbit (e.g. circular or elliptical) and the duration of the system's orbital period.