Unraveling the Mystery of Little Flies from Trash

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
In summary, fruit flies can emerge from fruits and vegetables in the trash or on the counter, as well as breed in sheltered areas like sink drains. Their population peaks in the fall and they can lay eggs in decaying fruit or food. It is recommended to decant food into sealed jars and wait a few days before using it to prevent fruit fly infestations.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
When one neglects to take out the trash or let unwashed dishes accumulate, one sometimes see little flies gravitate around the mess.

I wonder where do these little flies come from? It seems they span directly from the junk, but I fail to see how "crust of spagetti sauce on a plate --> the miracle of life" !

Plz shed light on this for me!

Thx

Biology news on Phys.org
Those are fruit flies, and they can emerge from fruits and vegetables in the trash or merely sitting on the counter (like tomatoes, etc sitting out). They can also breed in sheltered areas in sink drains, vent pipes, etc.

They are probably fruit flies. They are attracted to things like polyalcohols that are given off by certain foods in decay and obviously decaying fruit.

In the fall their population peaks, and you start seeing them in your house. If you leave fruit out and it actually rots, those guys will have babies - maggots. Which make more adult flies - takes about 2 weeks from egg to adult; the adults live for probably 4-5 weeks. All of these times are for 20C room temperature.

I've always thought that fruit brought in has eggs laid in/on them and left to spoil, the eggs will by then hatch. Spaghetti wories me, but I've seen gnats and moths hatch out of dried beans and pasta.

Whenever I buy things like that, I immediately decant them into sealed jars and wait a few days to see if anything hatches before I use it.

jim mcnamara said:
In the fall their population peaks and you start seeing them in your house.

You ain't kidding.

Jim

1. What are little flies from trash?

Little flies from trash, also known as fruit flies or vinegar flies, are small insects that are commonly found in decaying organic matter, such as fruits, vegetables, and garbage. They are a nuisance to humans as they can quickly reproduce and infest homes and kitchens.

2. Why are little flies attracted to trash?

Little flies are attracted to trash because it provides them with a suitable environment for breeding and feeding. Trash, especially organic waste, contains nutrients and moisture that the flies need to survive and reproduce. The smell of decaying food also acts as a beacon for these insects.

3. Are little flies harmful to humans?

Little flies are not known to transmit diseases to humans, but they can contaminate food and surfaces with bacteria and other pathogens that they pick up from trash. This can lead to food poisoning and other health issues, especially for individuals with weakened immune systems.

4. How do you get rid of little flies from trash?

The best way to get rid of little flies from trash is to eliminate their source of food and breeding grounds. This can be done by properly sealing and disposing of trash, regularly cleaning and disinfecting surfaces, and removing any decaying organic matter from the area. Traps and insecticides can also be used to control the fly population.

5. How can we prevent little flies from infesting our homes?

To prevent little flies from infesting your home, it is important to maintain good sanitation practices. This includes properly disposing of trash, keeping kitchen surfaces clean and dry, and regularly cleaning drains and garbage disposals. It is also helpful to store fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator and to cover any food that is left out. Regularly taking out the trash and keeping a clean and clutter-free environment can also help prevent infestations.