Virulent form of cold virus spreads in U.S.

In summary: I say it was the flu? Oops. In any event, I'm glad I caught it early, so I didn't have to spend a lot of time feeling miserable.It's a computer virus.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A new and virulent strain of adenovirus, which frequently causes the common cold, has spread in parts of the United States, killing 10 people and putting dozens into hospitals, U.S. health officials said on Thursday.

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report detailed cases of people ill since May 2006 with a strain of the virus called adenovirus 14 in New York, Oregon, Washington state and Texas.

"Whether you're a healthy young adult, an infant or an elderly person, this virus can cause severe respiratory disease at any age," said John Su, who investigates infectious diseases for the CDC and contributed to the report.[continued]
http://www.reuters.com/article/heal...edType=RSS&feedName=healthNews&rpc=22&sp=true

Physics news on Phys.org
Heh, the girl in the cube next to me at work is a hypochondriac, so I made sure to show her this the other day. I wonder if that's why she's not here today.

Evo said:
Heh, the girl in the cube next to me at work is a hypochondriac, so I made sure to show her this the other day. I wonder if that's why she's not here today.
Such a team player :rofl:

Astronuc said:
I do what I can. o:)

Astronuc said:

Talking about team players. I'm in a 24/7 setting and I just calculated that the teams absence due to sick-at-home was at a ~1.5% rate this year versus some 7% for a normal planning figure. Now this would lead to two possible scenario's. Either working 24/7 shifts is very healthy or people show up at work at any cost, because otherwise somebody else would not be relieved (there is no leeway for reserves).

I read this very early this morning, by 11 am..i was sneezing my head off. This is my first weekend off in several months, and I half to spend it nurseing a cold I got from a forum:cry:

It's a computer virus.

hypatia said:
I read this very early this morning, by 11 am..i was sneezing my head off. This is my first weekend off in several months, and I half to spend it nurseing a cold I got from a forum:cry:

Evo said:
It's a computer virus.

:rofl:

Feel better hypatia. Everyone around here seems to be sniffling and sneezing this week, so I'm glad I've spent most of the week wearing a surgical mask! Actually, I wouldn't mind catching the bug this weekend and getting it out of the way while I have some time to nurse it. I know that won't happen though. They'll just incubate that beast until I'm starting the experiment that's going to require 14 hour work days with no breaks, and then they'll give it to me so I'm completely miserable and can't just sleep it off.

Evo said:
It's a computer virus.

Much be a glitch in the matrix.

Moonbear said:
Feel better hypatia. Everyone around here seems to be sniffling and sneezing this week, so I'm glad I've spent most of the week wearing a surgical mask! Actually, I wouldn't mind catching the bug this weekend and getting it out of the way while I have some time to nurse it. I know that won't happen though. They'll just incubate that beast until I'm starting the experiment that's going to require 14 hour work days with no breaks, and then they'll give it to me so I'm completely miserable and can't just sleep it off.
A number of people around me are nursing colds.

I got the oddest looks today when I went for my walk. What's the big deal about short sleeves and bare feet?! It was only 35°F with a nice 10 mph breeze. Geez, you think it was cold or something. :cool:

Well - I did notice that everyone else was wearing coats or jackets.

Go figure. :smile:

I was wearing shoes the other day while walking with my colleagues, and noticed an elderly woman walking briskly towards us from a bus stop where she had been waiting on a side street perpendicular to our path. We meet at the street corner and she came up to me and asked me why I was wearing shoes. :rofl: I told her I was just lazy and didn't bother to take them off - which is true. Apparently the fact that I don't wear shoes when I go walking has caught the attention of a few people. :rofl:

After stepping on way to many things {some sharp, some stinky}..I now wear shoes when I walk.
Thank you Moonbear, your right, it is much better that I can stay home, maybe do a few little holiday craft stuffs.

Feel better soon hypatia!

My, my---It looks like a lot (in a way) when I've been out for a while that has been posted. I don't think it was this cold (above) that I had, but the flu. I don't remember the last time I had the flu--I mean I don't think I've had it in 30 years, and I still don't feel well. I've gained back about 5lbs of the 20 I lost. I'm hoping to feel good enough today to get out and go grocery shopping--the fruit and vegetables are on the top of the list.

rewebster said:
My, my---It looks like a lot (in a way) when I've been out for a while that has been posted. I don't think it was this cold (above) that I had, but the flu. I don't remember the last time I had the flu--I mean I don't think I've had it in 30 years, and I still don't feel well. I've gained back about 5lbs of the 20 I lost. I'm hoping to feel good enough today to get out and go grocery shopping--the fruit and vegetables are on the top of the list.
I was wondering where you had disappeared to. Sorry to hear you've been ill.

1. What is a virulent form of cold virus?

A virulent form of cold virus is a type of virus that is highly infectious and causes severe symptoms in those who are infected.

2. How does the virulent form of cold virus spread?

The virulent form of cold virus can spread through direct contact with an infected person, such as through coughing, sneezing, or touching contaminated surfaces.

3. What are the symptoms of the virulent form of cold virus?

The symptoms of the virulent form of cold virus are similar to a regular cold, including a runny nose, sore throat, cough, and congestion. However, they may be more severe and last longer.

4. Is the virulent form of cold virus more dangerous than a regular cold?

The virulent form of cold virus can be more dangerous, especially for those with weakened immune systems or underlying health conditions. It can also lead to complications such as pneumonia.

5. How can we protect ourselves from the virulent form of cold virus?

To protect yourself from the virulent form of cold virus, it is important to practice good hygiene such as washing your hands frequently, avoiding close contact with sick individuals, and staying home when you are sick. It is also recommended to get a flu vaccine to help prevent the spread of viruses.